EQInterface Forums

EQInterface Forums (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graphics modification help. (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Photoshop CS2 (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20577)

valaury3169 12-17-2009 11:14 AM

Photoshop CS2

I use PS CS2 for my tga editing. On occasion, I will save the file and find that the alpha channel is missing (I will view the graphic in EQ, and there will be no transparency). I will open the file in PS again, and verify that the alpha channel is missing. I will add the channel back, re-apply my transparencies where I want them, and save again, only to discover that the alpha channel is not saving.

I think (and I say this because it is the only thing I can identify that may have caused this) is when creating the graphics, I use 'Merge Layers' to combine all layers into a single one. When I use 'flatten image' I haven't observed this problem.

The only thing I have found that seems to fix the file when it won't save the alpha channel is to add a layer, click 'flatten image' and save.

Can anyone tell me why this is, and whether or not this is just a coincidence, or is that really the correct way to work with tga's?

Basically, what is going on?

valaury3169 12-22-2009 03:30 PM

Ok, I have all but given up trying to figure out what was going on that caused me to not be able to save the alpha channel before. I can't seem to get that specifc sequence to happen again. However, I do still have a question about Photoshop that I hope someone can answer.

I have .psd files for all of my textures that have layers for all of the individual pieces within a texture. If I open the .psd directly, no matter what combination I use to save it as a .tga, it drops the alpha channel. As a matter of fact, in the Save As dialog, it says "must be saved as a copy.." and the option for Alpha Layers is greyed out. Flattening the image first doesn't help.

What I have to do is save as .tga, select the name and save. Then I open the newly saved .tga in PS, add the alpha channel back, go to the .psd file, copy the alpha layer, then paste it in the newly added alpha channel in the recently opened .tga file and v***a...I can save a proper .tga.

There has to be a better way of doing this. Where am I going wrong?

edit: Why did it censor the "o-i-l" in "v-o-i-l-a"? That is wierd...

Dolby 12-22-2009 03:45 PM

Lol fixed the censor issue.

As for your alpha issue...

Are you creating an Alpha Mask under the channels tab? Thats the area where white = the object and black = the transparency. Once you have that and only 1 layer you should be able to go to "save as" and choose TGA. You'll notice the "Alpha Channels" option should then be checked, if not check it.

I dont have CS2 but this works in CS4 with out issue.

valaury3169 12-22-2009 04:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I attached some screenshots of what I see.

Channels.jpg are the channels I have defined (Pieces is a mask for some specific work I was doing)
Layers.jpg just shows that I have a bunch of layers in my PS project.

After I "flatten Image", I then click on "Save As" and the first thing I see is SaveAs1.jpg.

I then change the file type to "Targa(...", and then I see SaveAs2.jpg.

At this point, I see no way of ensuring that the Alpha channel remains in the .tga.

This only occurs if I open the .psd file originally, make my changes and attempt to Save As. If I open the .tga directly, I can do whatever I want, as long as I "flatten Image" first, it will retain the alpha channel when I hit "Save".

(my screenshot doesn't show it, but I do have the "background" layer visible before I flatten)

Dolby 12-22-2009 04:28 PM

Ok my test was with 1 Alpha mask. I added a 2nd one then I have the same problem as you.

So the problem is if you have more than 1 Alpha mask and I believe you can only have 1 Alpha mask with a TGA (although not 100% sure). I know in TV the tga graphics the art department would send us would only have 1 alpha mask.

valaury3169 12-22-2009 04:38 PM

Oh my.... now I want to cry.

That was exactly it, Dolby, the extra mask was causing the issue.

I think my original issue must have been a glitch, and because of that, I got overly confused... the answer was in front of me all along.

Thanks so much for saving my sanity.

Gregorio03 01-13-2012 03:06 AM

Some how I have made it so the LINE TOOL is a Thin ARROW. I have no idea how I did it and I really need this reset to how it should be.

I cannot even understand HOW I could have made the Line Tool anything other than the Line as it's the Custom styles where you can select what Custom sytle cursor to use.