EQInterface Forums

EQInterface Forums (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2 Boxing on 1 PC (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11853)

Sthikik 12-24-2003 12:58 PM

2 Boxing on 1 PC

I've heard of people 2 boxing, and since I have 3 computers in my house I can do that... but due to space restrictions on my Desk, getting another computer onto it... next to impossible...

HOWEVER WOW... I am able to load up a second account on my same machine... small problem...

How do I make the window smaller than almost full screen so I can see both windows at once, instead of having them both over laid on each other?

I'd like to put them side by side so I can see the action from both perspectives at once. Does changing the screen resolution allow you to make the actual window smaller? I noticed when I spawn both clients they start out nice and small, but when they get to Character Select mode, they go almost full screen.

or.. any one know of a cheap way to have a second monitor hung off the same computer sharing the same desktop space.. i've seen it done here at work with the contractors, but the equipment they have is expensive to do that.

Kudane 12-24-2003 01:16 PM

let me say this is bold.... just for effect

You do NOT want to two box on one PC

even with the 3.0 gig system I have played on trying to run two instances of EQ causes horrid lag in both. As both try to read and write to the Hard-Drive at the same time.. this works to exchange items, but you can not switch between them fast enough to effectively play two characters and 99 time out of 100 one or both of them will die in a fight.. (due to Lag, or not able to swap)... (remember if one dies it will lockup the mouse so you can't move the other till first one returns to bind)

EASIEST SOLUTION:

Click Image to see more info on it

This is what I use.

I can roll it up beside when I need to bring in more than one character, I use a 40$ Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard so I can move it on to the desk by my main keyboard. And when I dont need two characters, I roll it back up against the wall (and put mouse and keyboard back). You zip-tie a powerstrip to the frame and then the only cords are the network cord, and extension cord (I have mine zip-tied togehter).

Hope that helps..

/bow

thelonstormeyes 12-24-2003 01:45 PM

The pic is a broken link.

Inokis 12-24-2003 01:45 PM

If only I had room for even that much in my computer room :)

technica 12-24-2003 01:54 PM

Hello,

Let me offer you an additional solution. I use a Belkin KVM Switch. This is a simple box that allows you to hook multiple computers up to a single Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse. It's a simple little box that will switch between the PC's without having to need two monitors, keyboards and mice. I use a two switch version of this, but have seen them for sale with 4 switches. They may come with more, but I have not personally seen one. I have also knowticed that the same switches are now sold with sound switches too so your able to hear only the PC you are currently looking at. It's as easy as a press of a button. The only disadvantage of this that you still can only see one screen at a time and interact with the one PC at a time, but you would have to be very talented to be using two PC's at the same time IMHO :)

Hope this helps.

Technica

Kudane 12-24-2003 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thelonstormeyes
The pic is a broken link.

works fine for me??? its to officemax.com

odd

Inokis 12-24-2003 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by technica
Hello,

Let me offer you an additional solution. I use a Belkin KVM Switch. This is a simple box that allows you to hook multiple computers up to a single Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse. It's a simple little box that will switch between the PC's without having to need two monitors, keyboards and mice. I use a two switch version of this, but have seen them for sale with 4 switches. They may come with more, but I have not personally seen one. I have also knowticed that the same switches are now sold with sound switches too so your able to hear only the PC you are currently looking at. It's as easy as a press of a button. The only disadvantage of this that you still can only see one screen at a time and interact with the one PC at a time, but you would have to be very talented to be using two PC's at the same time IMHO :)

Hope this helps.

Technica

I have something similar to that, one of my computers shares a monitor however the monitor had a build in secondary port, quite handy for the space contraints actually. If you can wing it and the monitor toggle isn't too annoying...its a great solution.

mortis42 12-24-2003 03:06 PM

Quote:
even with the 3.0 gig system I have played on trying to run two instances of EQ causes horrid lag in both. As both try to read and write to the Hard-Drive at the same time.

Create a second EQ directory, preferably on a second HD. Launch one instance of EQ from each directory.
Quote:
this works to exchange items, but you can not switch between them fast enough to effectively play two characters and 99 time out of 100 one or both of them will die in a fight.. (due to Lag, or not able to swap)

To restore ALT+TAB functionality with EQ download the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit. This is approved by SOE, see: http://help.station.sony.com/esuppo...electtype=match
Quote:
remember if one dies it will lockup the mouse so you can't move the other till first one returns to bind

I have never had this happen that I know. It may be resolved with the ALT+TAB fix. However, I do use my keyboard primarily and have gone for a number of hours without a mouse before and have not ran two instances of EQ on my machine many times with the EQ windowed mode (see later).

Some other things to note:
Always be sure that both windows are located in exactly the same spot on your desktop. The way that I did this was to set up everything on one instance before setting up my second EQ directory. Every setting in both directories are identical that way.
Turn off all Options. i.e. Luclin models, socials, dynamic lighting, use low textures, and most importantly sound. Be sure that your computer is set up for Best Performance, especially your graphics card.

Now, I mentioned earlier that I do not use the EQ windowed mode. What do I use? It is an application that has been around since before running EQ in windowed mode was approved called EQWindows (http://www.eqwindows.com/)**. I find that it runs moch more stable than the windowed mode that EQ uses.
My only complaint is that you cannot restore fullscreen with it. Since I run EQ at a lower resolution than Windows, this is annoying at times. I usually ahve to know when I was to box on one computer so that I can change my desktop resolution to the same resolution that I run EQ in so that I can have pseudo-fullscreen.

Now for EULA. There has never been to my knowledge any official word as to the legality of using this program. Unofficially it is legal to use this program since it does not alter anything ... etc.

My guild <Arma Viresque> is 90% boxers. We have a couple people that quad-box regularly, and one of them does it on 2 computers that I knoew. There is another member that plays his own 6-person group on 4 machines. We have discussed boxing on single machines regularly.

** This program is STILL against the EULA and can cause you to be banned even now, they reversed banning on it before, but they did NOT say it was ok to use it... use at your own risk --- Admin

Ladred 12-24-2003 03:46 PM

I've got an athlon xp 2600, with 1 gig of ram. My desktop resolution is 1600X1200. I've often double windows everquest (with a single hard drive, and single everquest folder), using two 640X480 everquests. It ran fine as a cleric and warrior, I was leveling myself up.

The biggest problem was UI selection. I just ended up creating a custom UI for when I two box on my one PC. It works, and the lag wasn't game breaking or unbearable. I leveled my warrior from 40 to 45 without a problem.

I think I also changed the shortcut for releasing the mouse from ctrl+shft+r to something a bit easier.

moix5th 12-24-2003 04:17 PM

Actually this is kinda funny, just yesterday i was trying to do the same exact thing, after many hours i finally got my setup just right. i am currently running my computer in 1600x1200 resolution, while eq(i use eqw) is in 800x600 mode.
1) Make 2 Everquest Directories 1 for normal/1 for 2boxing
2) Make As many eqw directories as accts u will be playing at once.
3) Download MiniVert2box
4) Unzip UI into your EQ/Uifiles/Mini Directory
5) Play EQ and Enjoy
6) Also i have found this EQ Preformance Tweaks to be helpfull.

Otosan Ameotoko 12-24-2003 04:54 PM

2boxing

Well...
I am a twoboxer, have been for a while, and it isnt really that hard you just have to get used to it.

Right now I can run up to 3 instances of EQ on my computer:
3.0ghz AMD athlon
512DDR
GeForce FX 5900 ultra
and **2** 80gig seagate HDs.

EQ is a memory and a HD hog, period.

All you need to do (this is what i did) is create a partition just for EQ on one drive and then put the other in your main partition (most people with 2 harddrives squish them together so they dont lose stuff) Install EQ on your main drive partition then copy all the files (minus the character files i.e. bobtheshaman_bristle.ini) to your "EQ partition"

Some people recommend using EQWindows, which i frown upon, especially since EQ is Alt tab-able now. And some recommend turning the sound completely off in your client.ini file (i recommend this for at least one of your instances). Zoning can be slow, and you NEVER want to have EQ windows side by side, not even 64bit highend systems can run stuff like that, DirectX just goes insane and explodes. Overlay one window over the other with a little bit of both window able to show when you are active in the other and youre fine.

ps. Load one version of EQ, get chars in same zone or whatever, THEN load the other character, have 2 characters loading zones at the same time is almost a garaunteed crash unless you have a lot of ram 1gig+

Kahomn 12-24-2003 05:03 PM

alternative

If you can't branch out horizonatlly (sp?), you can always go vertically.. i have 3 terminals on my bingo table set up, and i have the top part of my cart (plastic rollcart) holding a TV above my main character's monitor.. i could have added another monitor to run 4 but... im not that addicted.

Like i said.. Vertical is a way to go:)

Neiloch 12-24-2003 05:09 PM

Its not too hard for me, I got a 3ghz pc with about 1500mb of ram. 2 different directories is a must. I use EQWindows as well since it seems to lag less then if both EQs are windowed without it. I have every extra feature possbile turned to off on one character. Including having the clip plane all the way down and 3dsky off. And in most cases with my caster hes looking down the whole time.

The key to it all for me was to make a whole set of macros for the caster specifically for my other character for duoing. I havent done it too much in groups but since I'm not doing every job like in duoing I dont need such elaborate macros. I hardly ever play them both at the same time though unless I need just little bit more exp or an item. otherwise it feels like work.

Kudane 12-24-2003 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mortis42
Now for EULA. There has never been to my knowledge any official word as to the legality of using this program. Unofficially it is legal to use this program since it does not alter anything ... etc.

It states quit clearly that you may not use ANY program that BYPASSES the Everquest frontend. They have banned accounts for the use of this program (I know 2 people personally). Though they DID un-ban those accounts to give people a second chance.. please know you use this program at your own risk. I won't say not to use it or you should use it. but any mention of it needs to have a footnote that it does break the EULA..

/bow

Aranash 12-24-2003 07:23 PM

I two box all the time...... Using 1 computer... I have read a lot say you need a huge system.

Not really. I am using 900mhz Athlon, 512megs of ram, (1) 80gig hard drive, and a 32meg Radeon 7000.

Have no problems 2 boxing unless in the bazaar =p