EQInterface Forums

EQInterface Forums (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help ! ? ! ? (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ok, im having problems with Loading UI. (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15109)

Fo0Guy18 09-13-2004 08:46 AM

Ok, im having problems with Loading UI.

I downloaded them from this site. It says to extract into the uifile>(name of UI) and extract the files into the UI folder.

Well.. I have two uifile folders...is this a prob?

F:\Sony\uifiles

and

F:\Sony\EverQuest\uifiles

but the thing.. the Sony folder only has my EQ game.

I had EQ Evolution and just recently bought Platinum. Instead of installing every expansion over again, i just selected which expansions I didnt have to install. From there, Im assuming this is where the "F:\Sony\EverQuest\uifiles" folder came from. I had EQ in just the "F:\Sony" folder.

Would this be the problem?

ANY ideas, and or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Yes I know.. last resort, uninstall and just reinstall Platinum.

Aramil Dannodel 09-13-2004 09:47 AM

Re: Ok, im having problems with Loading UI.

Alright...let's see if I can get this out without botching it too much.

First off, no matter how many folders you create named "uifiles", EverQuest will *always* only load from the "uifiles" folder inside the EverQuest directory. Also, please be sure that the actual folder that contains your UI files does not have a space in the name. The game, for whatever reason only recognizes alphanumerics, not spaces or special characters (although it *might* recognize underscores, I still recommend trying to leave them out of your folder's name), and quite a few people have posted lately with that exact problem.

Secondly, when you specify an install directory (not just for EverQuest, for anything; exceptions to some older programs), it will create (and for this example, we'll stick with the game) an EverQuest directory *inside* the directory you specified. Your UI folders under the "uifiles" directory have to be within the EverQuest directory, else the game will not recognize anything there, and pretty much tell you that there's nothing there...in which case, it's right. There isn't anything inside the folder it's set to read out of.

I hope this helps a bit...if not, be sure to give a yell.

Ameril Dan`nodel
Warder, 56th season
[ Lanys T`Vyl server ]

Fo0Guy18 09-13-2004 10:52 AM

Thanks for replying.

I just thought of this too, and dunno if it will help or not..

The uifiles folder in my Everquest folder, has no files(just a default folder with nothing inside). The uifiles folder in the Sony directory has the files.

Utaeladil 09-13-2004 07:18 PM

I have installed and re-installed EQ on many computers (I'm such an addict) and have seen a couple instances where there were more than one folder like you describe. EQ requires no registry entries to run...it can be run completely without installing even (if you just copied the files to a different computer, then the game would work as long as directx was up to date). I think that EQ places something in the registry that may tell other EQ related programs where to find EQ, but its not necessary at all.

What I would do is MOVE the entire f:\sony folder to another spot...lets say just move it to your desktop for now. Then, lets leave all the files in there alone (don't delete any) so you can copy them back if this doesn't work.

Then make a folder that you want EQ to be installed in...like f:\sony\everquest

Then COPY the bulk of the contents out of the MAIN folder (from your desktop now) to the folder you created. Don't worry about sub-folders...any sub-folders can and will be patched back into place when you run EQ from the first time from the newly desired location. (If you ever install EQ from CD's again, just make sure you specify the folder you put the files in so it can just overwrite files and not place duplicates all over the place.

Once you get that taken care of, the UIFILES folder should be only underneath of f:\sony\everquest and you can add/modify UI's much easier without confusion of ghost copies or empty folders from previous installs.

Hope this helps!

Fo0Guy18 09-13-2004 07:24 PM

I fixed it

When I got Evolotion oh so long ago, I put the directory as F:\Sony

and when I bought Platinum for the other two expansion, it went to F:\Sony\Everquest

So i have two uifiles folders.

So i just uninstalled and deleted the Sony folder. Everything Is fine now.