View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 10:02 PM   #15
bigbear4xl
A Fire Beetle

I have to admit XML and the coding/steps required to make my own skin have probably driven me to madness. Trying to understand how all of this fits together is painful. I just don't get it, and trying to learn from reading around and looking at the examples has given me I guess a basic understanding of it, but I just can't wrap my head completely around it.

I play a few different classes, but a Warrior primarily. I'm looking in particular for a UI skin that's easy on the eyes (i.e. attrctive and nifty) but also extremely utilitarian, that can be used by both caster class and melee/hybrid class.

But, most importantly, doesn't reduce my visible port to microscopic size.

My main is a Dwarf Warrior and so many UI's seem destined to make me have to adjust camera angle to see a field of vision the way I want.

I'm in the process of trying to do a single image graphic of what I want the basic design shape to be and where I want individual parts to go (i.e. where the spell icons go, player info, group window info, etc.) but I haven't a clue how to put it all together myself. So if anyone would be interested in tackling this UI with me I'd be grateful.

Mainly the UI would go at the bottom of the EQ screen and be a streched U shape with inventory/hotkeys at left, spell/combat spam window over GU window on the right, with target above compass above player stat window at dead center, with group window at left of that and main chat at right of center position. A SARS type buff window at upper right hand side of screen and similar SARS type spell gem window at top left and a slimline MP3 player at very top center.

With a "low bottom" on the U shape, shorty races will easily have a clear field of vision, and this is also good for taller races. I have always played EQ with my hot keys on the left bottom and all of my pertinent stuff at center-left. This is my comfortable, well-used visual and I want a smooth UI that has this.

I've been quite frustrated because I know exactly how it's supposed to look but I can't figure out how to actually do the coding or how to piece it all together.
bigbear4xl is offline   Reply With Quote