View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Sandcaster
A Gray Wolf

Server: Veeshan
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandcaster
Default R.I.P Gary Gygax

If you ever played a RPG in any form, rather it be PC, consol or pen and paper, Gary Gygax had an impact on you. In fact since his passing, I have gone back and been reading my old D&D books again. I remember 1st edition when I was quite young, the old Deities and Demigods, the white book with the Crusader on the cover, the OLD Player's Handbook, the OLD DM Guide, Monstrous Compendium - I still have my binder with the tomes of monster info in it. I also have the 2nd edition Arms and Equipment guide, Psionics book, you name it.

I bought the game in 1981, and played with a relative before that, so yes, Gary had a huge impact on my gaming life and in fact am getting into game development myself. I enjoy a good RPG and we all know Gary and Dave were so good at what they did at TSR when D&D was made. It has undergone several different forms as for rules - 1st, 2nd (AD&D) and 3rd edition as well as 3.5. 4th Edition is due out this summer which will be such a blast. I always saw the name on the book and thought, "who is this Gary Gygax, and what an unusual last name that is." We sure found out, he was a genius at what he did, for right or for wrong, he was the founding father of the RPG genre.

You will be missed Gary, and yes I still have the books.

Sandcaster Silverstar
74 Wizard
Sandcaster is offline   Reply With Quote