View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

No, XML will only take precidence if you untick the option to save your layout, or if you have no layout saved for a particular resolution.

So yes, it's handy for UI designers to add XML positions just in case, but the best thing to do is to make use of /copylayout. I've just added a big reply to the SoE thread if you want to see what I think, but the gist of it is:
  • If you set positions in the XML they are for one resolution only. With users being able to size the window how they like, it's impossible for a developer to guess what's best for a user.
  • /copylayout however lets a developer ship support for as many resolutions as they want, and users can easily try a few out and see which layout suits their screen best.
  • /copylayout also covers the occasions where your .ini file has no positions saved for your current resolution. If you find your windows are all over the place, no problem: just do a /copylayout and grab positions from a resolution that you know works.
That one command solves a huge number of problems. All UI designers need to do is ship a .ini file, and any time window positions get messed up it's (hopefully) going to be a piece of cake to fix.

And what I've just realised is the /copylayout command is SKlug's way of letting us fix the UI's for everyone who's layout got messed up.

Myx
myxiplx is offline   Reply With Quote