View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 12:44 AM   #8
Aramil Dannodel
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Combine
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to Aramil Dannodel Send a message via MSN to Aramil Dannodel
Post Re: Code to exploit Windows graphics flaw now public

And here's advice to everyone, once you do finish updating to protect yourselves from this nasty little feature. Obviously, they had a couple of "funny" programmers in there...I've always said Microsoft had to be filled with whitecoats.

1) Download a program called Opera (latest version is found here)
2) Hover your cursor over the Internet Explorer icon.
3) Right-click it, select Delete, and confirm until it's gone.
4) Repeat this process on your Desktop, in your start menu, and wherever else needed until the only way you can manually load it is by digging deep into your Program Files or Windows folder.
5) Install Opera.
6) The first time you start it, a confirmation box will ask you if you'd like to set it as your default browser.
7) Click yes, and giggle manically (I *know* I did. Heh)
Haha, obviously, you don't have to do it...but for the majority, once you try out Opera as a browser, you'll never want to look at Internet Explorer ever, ever, EVER again. You know that feature IE just put in to block pop-up adds? Opera's had that for over three years. Oh, and Opera allows you to open seperate windows to browse more than one web page simultaneously (obviously) but the best part...they all remain *within* the Opera window itself, instead giving tabs for each individual page. I highly recommend it as a browser...I don't think many would be disappointed in trying it out. /nod

As such...please, if you haven't already, download Service Pack 2 or follow-up on Kudane's link for the GDI to check your system for the proper patching to prevent this little coding problem from having you tear your hair out.

Ameril Dan`nodel
Warder, 57th season
[ Lanys T`Vyl server ]

Bitch at Amiez!! -- in the words of Spleen.
Aramil Dannodel is offline   Reply With Quote