View Single Post
Old 10-11-2003, 02:01 AM   #3
Geln
A Fire Beetle

Server: Povar
Thumbs down Eww

Sorry, but I hate R3. Please, please gilve us a patch for R2 to work with SOE's latest "improvements" on the UI. Or please tell me how to do it myself. I've been trying for the last 2 hours and EQ seems to crash every 2nd UI change. Very frustrating. It certainly makes me appreciate what you do, but it makes it hard as hell for me to get what I want if I don't use exactly what you do.

1) Inventory slots have a weird "ball" in them instead of a blank box. VERY hard to see at a glance if the slot contains something or not.

2) Casting. I'm a bard. I need to know exactly where my casting timer is at. I got used to it being combined into the target window with your UI, but I needed the pink color that flashed over the pet health bar. The dark blue long casting timer that is above my health is just too indistinct and too large. When I'm twisting, I need to know at a glance - usually out of the corner of my eye - how long until the next pulse. I cannot do this with only the long, thin, blue casting meter left over for R3.

3) Sorry, but I didn't lay out my screen as you have yours. My effects are on the right. This worked well with two columns of squares - one for easily visible icon and one for a legible description. But with R3, in order to see the tiny names which stretch much futher into my viewing area, my icons have to be on the left of the screen or their in the way. R2 could go on either side. R2 icons were much easier to see. In R3, they've been shrunken to an indistinguishable blob. If you're going to use such great graphics for the icons, please don't diminish them to just a few pixels.

4) Same thing goes for short duration buff (song effects) window. It was laid out horizontally. It was (and still is) a pain in the butt to move to where I wanted, but at least once it was there I thought it would stay there. Now it's vertical. I have to say, unless you're in a raid or group with more than one bard, there just is very little chance that thing will see more than 3 icons at a time. Please let me use the horizontal layout. It was nice in the center of my screen next to my casting bar for twisting.

5) MP3 Player. I do like R3's player. The script font used for the wording of the R2 version was pretty illegible and I like the streamlined change. It'd be nice if I could mix and match to add this to R2.

6) Same goes for compass. Much nicer in R3. Much easier to read at a glance.

Overall, I chose your UI as it had a lot of information in a clean, neat, compact layout that left room for customization. I'm disappointed that R3 doesn't have that same room.
Geln is offline   Reply With Quote