View Single Post
Old 01-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #17
Chiasma
A Gray Wolf

I was one of (apparently) the last holdouts using the old UI - and to boot, I was always using the first page (the hard coded, window in the middle version). The reason for that was because I get motion sickness it seems if I have the window fill the whole screen. No idea why, but it is something I need to cope with somehow if I want to continue to play EQ.

The only problem I ever really had with the old UI was the fact that I would prefer to have my spell bar on the right side and the buffs/effects on the left (or they could be out of the way on the top too - just not locked on the right side where I need my spells to be) - because I am right handed so it is more functional for me that way - less mouse movement.

I have d/l'd every up to date ui I can find and I still cannot make any of them work for me, so that I can be useful in a group (clerics don't solo well at most levels) and not cause everyone to die over and over when I cannot find my spell icons fast enough, or when I have no target window. The latter may be a bug (the target window just 'disappears' and won't come back using the Alt T or any other key I assign - perhaps because for some reason I am locked in the 'windowed' environment since I once put it up there, and nothing will cause it to go back to full screen it seems - even deleting eqclient.ini as I was instructed to do by CS.)

In any event, what I need/want is this - for 800 x 600 resolution (because anything else is just too small for my old eyes though my monitor can handle much higher resolutions):

Spell and buff icons that are ONLY text - no graphics, no picture (and yes I know there are ones with both, but that just takes up real estate imho and if all I need is the text, then why bother with the picture).

If it is not possible to put text in the icons, then I would like the OLD simple, large icons back since I am familiar with them and they are large and easy to see.

I need to reduce my viewport (because of the motion sickness) but as a result of that, the background frame around the viewport MUST be completely covered since that black (the only color that VI can supply apparently - according to their tech people) is really hard on my eyes - so I need all the other windows to fit like a glove around the edge of the viewport which is centered on the screen

In order to accomplish the last item (completely framing the viewport window), since that frame is rigid, I need all boxes to be sizeable since they don't 'fit' perfectly otherwise, and I need to capability to arrange them as I want to - or to change them around depending on the character or situation).

I need a light frame around the view window too, since that is much easier on my eyes. Since we cannot delete the blackness, I need to be able to adjust all boxes around the edge of the viewport to the same light color.

I need simple, large and functional .. in a nutshell. I don't need or want any fancy graphics. I need text of a decent size everywhere on the screen. I need easily locatable (ie. large and distinct) open/close buttons for buttons not on the screen all the time.

Has anyone made anything that even remotely resembles what I am looking for?

Thanks,
Chiasma
Chiasma is offline   Reply With Quote