View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 01:07 AM   #4
lunakin
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I just figured this out. At least, I figured out how to do the partial trans effect I wanted to, and I hope what I learned will help you as well. In PSP, to boot!

I'm a big fan of the TTgems, I really like the transparent overlay on the 'highlight' part of the gem. Whenever I made the overlay to match gems I made, it always ended up having no trans at all and looking really crappy. After analyzing the .tgas and the in game screenies, I noticed how when I was loading up the alpha channel, and it showed the greyscale image of it, The part of the graphic where the holder was would be grey, whereas the gems themselves where white and the transparent areas were black. Then it clicked, the greyed ammount was the ammount of transperancy. Then I had to figure out how to actually get into the mask and alter that greyness. Nights, then days, then weeks went by Here's the easist way I could find.

Start with an alpha channel that matches the graphic you want. Mask > Load from Alpha

then : Mask > Edit

Your palate should flip to greyscale at this point, at least mine did

Now, select the part of the image you want to make transparent, I just box selected around the bit I was working with.

Then: Colors > Brightness/Contrast

I left contrast alone and dropped brightness to neg 50 to start, then fiddled with it more to get the trans right for different images, didn't try messing with other options, but i'm guessing you can edit the alpha channel this way with any of the regular paint tools (brush, bucket, line).

Once you have what you think is the right trans level,

Mask > Save to Alpha

I always delete the previous mask in the image, as only one is saved in a .tga.

Finally

File > Save.

Now, if your .xml is tight, you should have a see thru area in your graphic.

Lookin at the alpha channel views of the Thangor's dragon book graphics reveals the same 'greyness' in the areas of the wings that are partially transparent.

I had been leaving this alone for a couple of weeks, when I saw your post, along with sc2kmayor's handy link, and it drove me to try to get this again, so, thanks for the nudge! I'm sorry the post isn't very cohesive, but I hope it gets you on the right track. I still need to mess with it more to get a better grip on it, like the link said, understanding these alpha channels isnt a big 'AHA' but a gradual realization of the possibilites.

Lunakin
lunakin is offline   Reply With Quote