View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 01:59 PM   #14
Theryon
A Ghoul

As my main char is a 65 cleric, there were a lot of requirements when I was looking for a custom UI.

I have to concur that as a cleric the ability to see my group's HP values was critical as was my stats and mana. I liked what Drakah had done but I didn't need the frills around the windows. That's when I found Vert UIs. The problem always became that this UI was good in design but was a bit too frilly and this one that was clean didn't have the right configuration.

That's why I dove in and created my own based on Vert. My UI takes up approx 1/3 of the screen on the lower portion. The main feature is that the compass bar stretches across the entire screen dividing the viewable area from the information area. It contains the compass, my resists, my name and surname, my level and class and diety, all my stats as well as my exp and aa bars (and numeric percentages). From the left to right are various windows that combine some pieces. Hotbuttons are on the left, then 2 chat windows (one is guild/raid/tell, one is melee/crit spam) then a bit off center to the right is my group window with the LFG button and above the group bars (with numeric percentages noted as well) is my player info including HP, Mana, Stamina, AC, HP/max and ATK. All bars include their numeric percentage values. And to the right is my main chat window. Below the hotbuttons, 2 chat windows and group window is the "target" window which has been reconfigured for right clickables. 5 equipment spaces, primary, secondary, range, ammo then the 8 inventory spaces. Above the compass bar (centered) is the "player" window which has been reconfigured at the target window/casting bar window with a long space for the target name and the numeric percentage value. Below the HP bar is where the casting bar pops up.

The upper left (below the PL info) is the spell gem window with the spell names to the right of the gems. I have modified this window recently to include an extra gem sized spellbook button for the spell lists. Below that, vertically, is the option window buttons. The upper right with the buff icons against the right is the main buff window (buff description to the left) with the song buffs window below that.

It's clean, simple and easy to use. I don't rely on the inventory window for information. All the info is there on the main screen. I don't have to worry what each spell gem/icon means because it's there on the screen. Like I said, all bars also include the value so I don't have to guess what the value is.

The only drawback is that I made it 1280x1024 only. I needed that much to display the info I wanted.

That's what I think makes a Priest UI. BTW, though it's nice to have your char's perspective viewable on the entire screen in the background, it's a pain in the ass when you want to click thing are behind your windows. I found it much more efficient to keep the viewable area segregated from the information.

EDIT: On the subject of timers ... although they are a nice concept, the reality of timers on the interface is a pain. Much better to get a few (I have 3) digital timers in the kitchenware section of your local Walmart. I set them when I need them. For the most part, I don't worry about it since if the buff wears off on me, then I need to recast it.
Theryon is offline   Reply With Quote