Thread: Eqim
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #54
InvisiBill
A Gray Wolf

Server:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudane
Actually it doesnt, the trillian plugin seems to fall into a grey area. Since EQIM is no longer supported, but the coding is out there for it, it seems that SOE may treat this as one of those grey things.

I use the EQIM pluggin for trillian, and I have mentioned that I use it to SOE people (even sent the link the file to one person) and so far none of them have warned me off using it.

Soooo while its still "use at your own risk" I know SOE isnt actively hunting EQIM users (hehehe)..

/bow

From the TermsOfService.txt in your EQIM directory:
Quote:
You may not create or use any software other than the Software provided by SOE to access the Service.

You're right that they're not going after people using this (as it doesn't affect gameplay, it simply does what the SOE program attempts to do), but it is most definitely against the TOS. http://teqim.sourceforge.net/?p=letter sums it up pretty well. SOE seems to be doing what Lax suggested, and ignoring people who don't follow this rule since it doesn't actually hurt anything.

It would be much better for everyone if SOE simply opened it up officially. Write up a few documents with specs for the protocol (Lax probably has all the meat of this info already) and let everyone make clients for it. With competition, all the clients would become better (and it would still require no effort on SOE's part). I personally know of some people who would keep paying for their EQ account just to use EQIM, if it were as reliable as one of the major IM programs/networks.

The only downside for Sony would be the increased usage of the system (since EQIM has that neato usage-limiting feature that looks like a crash).
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote