View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
Mahein
A Ghoul

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angahran
Not quite.
What I'm lookin at would allow someone to modify a specific part of the UI, e.g. the casting bar, WITHOUT having to have everything else that is also contained in the casting bar .xml file. You would have a file containing ONLY your specific changes.

This dosen't mean you don't have to learn XML. It simply means that if you wan't to make a very small change to 1 line, you don't have to include 500 lines of code simply because they happen to be in the same .xml file.

Ang

Well, so far as my understanding of XML goes, the effect of a certain line of code depends as much on WHERE it is in the file in relation to the other parts (ie: what tag it is under) as it does on what the code itself says. Considering that in a given XML file you could have several lines of code that look identical but affect different items because of where they are, it'd be awfully difficult to make a system that could look at one or two separated lines of code and "decide" where they fit into another file.

You'd have to have some way of showing EQ WHICH line in the original XML you were wanting to replace with your modified line, and since XML doesn't use line numbers (a la BASIC) or any such to identify individual lines, you'd have a job coming up with some way to do that.

Not to mention that you'd have to look at the original file to find the line you wanted to change anyway, and since the size of the file (in terms of storage) isn't that big, why not just open the bloody thing up in your editor, make your changes, then save those changes to the new location anyhow? Seems to me that THAT is quicker, and cleaner, than trying to kludge up some way to do what you seem to be describing....