View Single Post
Old 06-05-2004, 11:29 AM   #64
Gandanor
A Gray Wolf

Server: Firiona Vie
Default OoW vs. Engine problems

Well we can see that SoE has decided to try and tackle the grahpics problems first as evidenced by the letter Mr. Smedley. This was a MUST, a good decision even if it was a hard one to make. It may disappoint some people who were not experiencing the problems but there certainly seemed to be enough people who were and every fix seemed to move the problems from one set of people to another.

Now the only fear I have is that this is not something that the SoE developers can fix. What if the problem is in fact NOT in SoE's code at all but is at least partially in DX9? It certainly wouldn't be the first or last time that Microsoft has released a product that is fundamentally flawed and left their customers, and in particular the vendor's who write on their platforms, holding the bag.

Again I feel for the developers ( again I've spent so long developing software from writing code, testing code and managing the process) that I can't help BUT empathize with the guys trying to meet the deadlines and find complex bugs in huge masses of code. It's worse yet when you're trying to hit a moving target and at least one letter has implied the Sony uses a two team system one to write new code and one to find bugs in code? Ever tried to find a logical error in say ten thousand lines of code written by someone else? Makes you wonder if "would you like fries with that" wouldn't have been a better career choice.

Good luck and god speed guys I hope the extended deadline gives you some breathing room and that in the end the opportunity to fix the problem actually lies within your reach.
Gandanor is offline   Reply With Quote