View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Haliken
Quintessence of EQUI XML

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Some of us can visualize things pretty darn well, and a WYSIWYG editor just writes sloppier code than we can do in notepad by hand. For me, working on the UI doesn't take many reloads to get the XML right. My reloads are usually when getting the graphics files just right (usually trying to get the compression to not totally blockify my graphics); so I load, take a screenshot, zoom in to 1600% and make sure everything looks right. Changes are made if necessary, followed by a reload, screenshot, magnify, etc. I doubt a WYSIWYG editor runs the textures through the same compression, so I can only check for graphical anomalies in game.

UI modding in EQ is largely an afterthought as far as I can tell. They gave us a document for the basic structure, threw notes in the target indicator INI file (well, those were added later, but whatever) and said ''have at it.'' We figured out what we needed to to make things work, and we're at their whim when they decide to make critical changes to the default UI. It's a waste of their time to keep us filled in, when changes take mere minutes to get detected by the UI editting community.

Unless they do another default UI overhaul, we're not in any danger of critical game breakers when it comes to the UI. I'd personally like at least a little heads up if they ever plan to do another default overhaul (we had warning on the last one though, so I'd be surprised if they ever sprung one on us without warning), but the little stuff isn't worth wasting their time over.

Enok

P.S. - I use Notepad and Adobe Photoshop.
Haliken is offline   Reply With Quote