View Single Post
Old 10-15-2002, 04:23 PM   #12
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda

First off, I agree, NBC is much better. NBC has The West Wing, and Scrubs, and other stuff..CBS has..umh. I don't know. But they do have this show, so I guess I can accredit them with one watch.

I believe 48 Hours is usually fairly good about representing both views, so hopefully they'll not be idiots and take the side of the woman, who in my opinion is wrong in her accusations. I believe she tried to file suit, or something? I'm certainly very disturbed and saddened that her son was driven to kill himself, just as i'm sure the folks at Sony are. However, I feel that there are no grounds to sue.

For the man--and he was an adult, he wasn't just some highschooler--to have gone so far as to lose his mind to this game, so that he could not live with himself because something happened in the game; there had to be something else very wrong there. I feel his mother let it go way to far, even if he was "out of her control", and he also must have had some kind of psychological depression or imbalance that would make him lose touch with reality like that. It could happen to anyone, i suppose; However, it happened to him.

So, is EverQuest addictive? Yes. There's no question; it's a fun game that is built in such a way that it's hard to put down. To many players, the answer is "Well, Duh." But can it be *blamed* for that? No. In my opinion, the judge should not even take the case, because it wouldn't be a fair trial; Either the jury (or other deciding members, i'm not familiar with civil suit law) would be made up of people biased against "these newfangled computer gadgets" or young people who wouldn't listen to anything the mother said. But, being a free country that can grand a woman 5 million dollars because she was too stupid to know that coffee is *hot*, I'd wager that it will be taken, if it hasn't been already. I guess i'll have to watch the show to find out; I haven't been following the suit.

In my opinion, Verant's done all they can be expected to do, and should do. They expressed their condolances publically, and they've expressed that they aren't responcible for others' poor time management, and I've heard that there is currently a timer window on test that will alert people when they should get off, if they want to try to limit themselves. They can't raise people's children. They can't be expected to stop trying to make money "honestly" because some people can't stop playing their game. I really do feel sorry for the late son's family, but I don't feel that if it's anyone's fault, it is his own. It's unfair to try to make the grief process easier by sticking the blame on a party that doesn't deserve it. Those are my thoughts. Take them or leave them, or flame them, but please do it politely ^.^
Fennin Ro"The Forgotten Server"
Go Kicky Fast Okay!
Casanunda is offline   Reply With Quote