View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #38
FennyX
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

yeah its not for everyone. if you think the download size is bad you should look at the actual size on disk.

although these files are all small, under 1k mostly, operating systems access disk drives in chunks called "clusters". so the smallest any file can be on disk is whatever size the cluster is on your system, for win2k/xp the default is 4k; it is on mine anyway. its pretty huge

having said that, i don't care about the size. i care about speed and being able to look things up rapidly. and thats what foofyspells does for me. you dont always know what class the spell belongs to, or what level it is. or maybe you only know something like it clobbered your BSS. the point is, foofyspells is geared entirely towards looking things up in a hurry, with whatever information you have available.

if all you're looking for is just the class spell lists then yeah, this is too much for you. but foofyspells is pretty darn flexible and if people really just want class indexes only, thats not hard to generate. i generate parts of foofyspells all the time for testing.

the main reason i don't make several small packages is because of the difficulty in updating/uploading multiple zips each patch. let's face it, i don't get paid for this. i'll keep this idea of generating subsets in mind though -- what would really be nice is being able to automate the upload part.

edit: i'd like to add that if the size of foofyspells is what really bugs, you can delete any of the indices you don't use. if all you want are the class by name and class by level indices, just delete everything but the LEVEL-xx.txt and ALPHA-xx.txt files and the data folder in the foofy subfolder. you can delete the attr folder too.

and there are links back to where you came from, they just aren't at the top of the spell detail pages. try clicking on the cyan-color field data, it takes you to the index that indexes that particular field. eg. click on CLR in the Classes field of a spell and you'll go to the alphabetical cleric list. if you click on the 9 in the CLR/9 part, you'll go to the 'by level' index for clerics. those links really added a lot to the size, but its what ppl wanted so use them!
FennyX is offline   Reply With Quote