Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2004, 05:26 AM   #16
Holte
A Gray Wolf

Server: Saryrn

For someone who is relatively new to Linux and about to do a fresh install, which build of Redhat would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Holte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 PM   #17
Taleisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holte
For someone who is relatively new to Linux and about to do a fresh install, which build of Redhat would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

7.3 is the best if you are going to run WineX for EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inokis
I'm still debating Lindows OS vs Win XP, any thoughts?

windowsXPpro with SP2, it's so much better than before, once you get it working right :-)

Quote:
I can not make the 'patchme' switch to work. So, I have to run that annoying patcher everytime I play.

if you have windows emulated just use the run command and type in \Everquest\eqgame.exe patchme

it should still work, but I am having the same problem getting it to work from a icon.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:00 PM   #18
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inokis
I'm still debating Lindows OS vs Win XP, any thoughts?

Download the 'Live" CD iso and you can run linux without needing to install it. This will give you a good feel of the differnt distros.

Linspire (formerly LindowsOS) is really nice because the Click'n'Run includes a bunch of software ready to install for Linspire with just a sinple interface.

SUSE has a similar interface, called YaST, but it does not have the nifty web interface, and does not include many of the paid programs that I saw on Click'n'Run.

Also, before switching to Linux, I have heard horror stories trying to get the ATI drives installed. All my machines are nVidia, so I do know know if this is true.

LinspireLive 4.5 (official torrent link)
SUSE LINUX Live-CD Download (International)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taleisin
if you have windows emulated just use the run command and type in \Everquest\eqgame.exe patchme

it should still work, but I am having the same problem getting it to work from a icon.

Yeah, I can get it to run fine form the command line, it's just trying to run it from a menu shortcut that I am having trouble. Oh well, as long as it saves in my recents then at least is is still convient.

Last edited by mortis42 : 08-12-2004 at 07:15 PM.
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:26 AM   #19
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

Refreshing a kinda old thread, but here it goes.

Seriously thinking about swapping my second box to a dual boot XP/Linux box, with Linux running on its own Hard drive.
I currently have the distro for Mepis (5 I think, its the Sep release, so it may be 4) and Mandrake 10.1, not real sure which I am going to use though leaning towards Mandrake.
I am looking for tips/tweaks and above all else info to make this swap a bit easier.
Sys specs:
AMD XP 1700+ on a Gigabyte GA-7-VAX mobo
1 gig PC-2700 DDR (2x512)
ATI 9600XT 128 MB video
Soundblaster Live 5.1 (though no speakers on this box)
generic 40x/16x/12x CD/CD-R/CD-RW
Linksys LNE100TX Network card (onboard network is disabled in the bios)

I think thats all the pertinent info.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:32 AM   #20
Taleisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weskat
Refreshing a kinda old thread, but here it goes.

Seriously thinking about swapping my second box to a dual boot XP/Linux box, with Linux running on its own Hard drive.
I currently have the distro for Mepis (5 I think, its the Sep release, so it may be 4) and Mandrake 10.1, not real sure which I am going to use though leaning towards Mandrake.
I am looking for tips/tweaks and above all else info to make this swap a bit easier.
Sys specs:
AMD XP 1700+ on a Gigabyte GA-7-VAX mobo
1 gig PC-2700 DDR (2x512)
ATI 9600XT 128 MB video
Soundblaster Live 5.1 (though no speakers on this box)
generic 40x/16x/12x CD/CD-R/CD-RW
Linksys LNE100TX Network card (onboard network is disabled in the bios)

I think thats all the pertinent info.

Thanks in advance for any info.

hardware wise I'd say you look fine, as for software, Mandrake is the windows of Linux IE* the easiest to use, but running mandrake wont teach you much, if you want to learn Linux I suggest running Debian or Slackware.

but for a real good time, get ahold of FreeBSD ( thats UNIX ).

tips and tweaks:
hmm, well the only tip I could give you is, don't look back. Once you start down the Linux ( or UNIX ) path, forever will it dominate your computers destiny, no matter how much you might not want it to. So don't look to windows as a safety net, for there is no safety net.

ohh a second tip, if you don't have sound on your system, remove the soundblaster, the fewer parts you have to configure for Linux ( UNIX ) the less aspirine you will need in the furture.

AHHH a third tip, don't get stuck thinking that you are a Linux guru just because you can install a software "package", anyone can do that if they have had any experiance in the clicking of a mouse. now if you start installing programs by rebuilding the kernel from hand. Then consider thy self a demi-guru, and are then worthy of dishing out information ( though not too much ) to others.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:25 PM   #21
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

Well I got Mandrake 10.1 up and running, couple snags along the way. I managed to get through them (search is your friend.)
Couple things I noticed along the way.
Research - Read as much as you can before hand it saves alot of time when you have read how to configure everything during the install.
read the manual/FAQ and above all else the error messages. Between those three and a good search engine (to find the answer to the pesky error messages) everything will finish up just fine.

Now to figure out how to get EQ to run under Linux and maybe play with some other flavors (couple more PCs that want to be FREE )
Any experience with Fedora Core 3? Mirrors are way bogged down so d/l is virtually impossible. :/

ps forgot how nice it was to use Mozilla (I can definitely see the Netscape roots)

pps the MEPIS distro didn't run (had the distro and a Live CD); also tried SUSE 9.1 it hung up on the install (unable to write to root; Access denied) going to have to figure out why (never ending learning Process.
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote