Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 04-08-2004, 09:37 PM   #1
Jorac1
A Ghoul

Default Making graphics

Ive been looking over some of the .tga files from some of the other UI makers and i'm curious. When you make your graphics, do you make them all as seperate image, piece by piece or do you make it as one big graphic (i.e. design the entire UI as ONE image) and then go through and slice it up into seperate .tga?

To me, looking at some of the UI files out there, it almost appears like they opened their paint program, designed the entire interface on one canvas, then went through and sectioned it all up into seperate tga files. Is that the right way, or is it better to design them all seperately from the beginning?
Jorac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Ayonae Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I personaly draw( on papaer) what i want it to look like. Then go an make each piece indivigualy(definatly SP)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.”
Anne Frank
ArcherPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:57 AM   #3
draxshar
A Ghoul

/my2cents

What I generally do is, (in Photoshop), do the whole UI as a whole piece, with each element on its own layer, then save the layers out into separate files. This helps me see how all the pieces interact with one another.

I think the bottom line is there is no "right" or "wrong" way to design; you have to go with what you are most comfortable doing. If you are comfortable with the way you are designing it, it will definitely go smoother and it will definitely show in the end result.

draxshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
Aramil Dannodel
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Combine
Send a message via AIM to Aramil Dannodel Send a message via MSN to Aramil Dannodel
Post Re: Making graphics

Personally, I've found that the easiest way to teach myself how to work with it is to create each piece individually, and worry about resizing/positioning afterwards. The method I find works best for me is working with one window/graphic at a time, and pulling every single element of it apart into seperate layers. It seems a little messy, but then I can easily make a small change here, a small change there...and not worry about messing up a large portion of something, and change everything as needed, bit by bit. I find it especially helpful is images are set into a certain pattern, or overlapping, crunched together, etc. Usually, I just morph layers together as I complete individual elements of the window/graphic.

Just my bit of input towards this...hopefully this will help give you insight into one of the many methods so you can choose what way you think will suit you best, and change precepts of it to accomodate to how you feel comfortable with editing. As I said, I personally find the method I use the easiest to start off working with, as it lets you correct your mistakes easily, and it's just something that's kind of stuck on me while working on various graphic mods.

Ameril Dan`nodel
Warder, 57th season
[ Lanys T`Vyl server ]

Bitch at Amiez!! -- in the words of Spleen.
Aramil Dannodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:11 PM   #5
axeion
A Predatory Creeper

Server: bristlebane

Atm working on whole ui following same principal each peice should look "fit" as a look with the whole theme or idea.layers an peices saved an reused add to the fit.

In photoshop saveing things in that format is helpful if not to many layers one can always go back an cange or take for a difrent window. My sig would be an example of this it was 15 layers in photoshop. I could pull the border out an use for another sig easy this way.

Just rember save your peices with names you can understand an rember to organize in folders it will cut your time down on finding that corner you want when makeing another tga file.

"A man has honor if he holds himself to an ideal of conduct though it is inconvenient, unprofitable, or dangerous to do so. "
Walter Lippmann
axeion is offline   Reply With Quote