Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 12-17-2003, 02:13 PM   #1
Everlast
A Ghoul

Default New 3d engine?

Heard from somewhere said we will have a new 3d engine coming. But anyone got some news about it? When will it release? how it looks like? Will that come with the new expansion Gates of Discord ?
Everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

Word has it that it is supposedly to be released in December... as to when in the jolly month, I am at a loss.

The new graphics engine is supposedly to use less power on your graphics card but still allowing for excellent graphic look to it. Unlike the SoL polygon count was increased in the new models, this cause excessive lag on many machines. But once this new engine is released the polygon count is supposedly to be dropped without the drop in graphic quality, but actually in reverse, and increase in graphic quality.

Will it be released with the Gates add-on? I don't know. I would hope to think that they will make this a free download to all to benefit its dramatic graphic increase while decreasing lag-based graphics. This is to be seen. As I too wait for its arrival.

I hope this has shed some light onto whats to be expected.

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
Starshelle
A Druid not a "Dr00d"

Server: Innoruuk
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

~prays that her half elf druid will finally be able to upgrade from her Elysian armor without having to suffer the awful thong look~ If they do that with the new graphics I'd be SO happy!
Starshelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:01 AM   #4
Azuth
A Snow Cougar

Nothing wrong with the thong look. I just hope they don't fook up High or Dark Elves. I'd hate to have ugly toons running around all those once lost places.
(profiles coming soon)
Azuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:17 AM   #5
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

I know that the engine that SOE is using for SWG is much easier on my computer than EQ.
I do not remember having much problem running Planetside either.

I wonder if they are planning on porting that (one of those?) engines over to EQ.

On another note, I heard that EQII was going to be using a different engine than any of SOE's other games. Maybe they changed their mind and decided to port it over to EQ.
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:36 AM   #6
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

SOE has yet to mention anything about this new engine in any upcoming patches. They aren't even announcing it coming within the new Expansion here in Feb. I'm geting doubtful that it'll be released.
http://www.chronology-guild.org/
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:43 AM   #7
Tiarra Kai
A Ghoul

It's a world engine upgrade, not a character model upgrade..
They already did that in Luclin.

The rest of the world is still running the same engine from pretty much day one.

Toons won't change.. but the world will.
Tiarra Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:46 AM   #8
Everlast
A Ghoul

Seriously, the Luclin character Models really need to upgrade, IMO, they look ok when stand still, but its horrible when they move and especially running... *Maybe* some ppl like it that way... /shrug

When I show my friend EQ in new char models, first after load up the game, he said "look nice " , then I start to running in 3rd person mode, he soon to fall off chair and couldn't stop laughting ... , and the next day he try to copy how the EQ models running and swing weapon infont of me... well, at least , this game give him some fun ...
Everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #9
Starshelle
A Druid not a "Dr00d"

Server: Innoruuk

There was an official quote from somewhere, I can't remember, but someone in Sony DID say they were working on a new graphic engine and new models. I'll see I can dig up the source. I really do think we'll see it revamped though. So many people were unhappy with they way the Luclin ones turned out, and the lag they create is horrible. With the models turned off and I walk around in the bazaar with EASE. With them on I have to turn the clip plane all the way down face the floor most of the time.

Oh and I'm SURE there are plenty of guys who don't mind seeing half elf girls run around in thongs, but when my druid was first starting out and I had no choice but to wear it, the constant comments some people would make did get tiresome. It also doesn't fit in with the way my character is roleplayed. She is a very modest person, and that's hard enough to play with the somewhat revealing chain, little alone with a very revealing thong and leather!
Starshelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:26 AM   #10
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

I can tell you with 110% assurance there IS a new engine in the works. I don't have a time frame but let me quote Absor, "It's simply Awesome, you are going to be amazed." I sent him a screenshot of an Ogre Beastlord who's epics don't fit, and basically he said they would probably never fix it because the new engine would take care of it.. I asked "how is it" and the reply above was his answer.

If/When Brenlo sends out information I will post it. But rest assured.. there is a new engine on the horizon.

personal note....

the new NPC models look soo smooth I wonder if they are captured from the new engine.

/bow

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 05:52 AM   #11
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

I'm not hearing new engine but not new models, but I do recall hearing new models (PC models). Absor's hint is a good clue.

I sware, the PC models from luclin just, well, sucked dockey's butt. While "some" races are alright, others are just horriable. Giving it a big thumbs down by myself. I have yet to turn on any models and in it's current state I will never.

I'm really hoping they get something that actually works. Maybe hire a dude or two from Marvel.
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:20 AM   #12
Thomus
Featured Artist

Server: Brell Serilis
Featured Artist
Send a message via Yahoo to Thomus

I'm also fairly certain they are working on the 3D engine, and I think Gates might have some cool shore effects in it, don't know how much of this new 3D engine is going to be in that expansion though, but I hope a lot of it will, this is great news since most players hardware has gotten better since EQ's release, EQ is still the hands down king of MMO's, it's definitely in their best interest to keep upgrading the games engine, and they know that, which is good news for EQ'ers.
Thomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:36 AM   #13
ryoujikaji
A Hill Giant

Server: The Nameless
Send a message via AIM to ryoujikaji

this is cool news
Old 12-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #14
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

Speaking of the new expansion, if you have been to Nedaria's Landing you will notice that the new water/waterfall effect is much nicer than the current. It also causes much less lag, like you see with waterfalls like at Thurgadin.
Hopefully this is an indicator of how much more friendly the new graphics will be.
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:10 AM   #15
Darsarin
A Bat

Here is one link on the new engine.

Link
Darsarin is offline   Reply With Quote