Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
axeion
A Predatory Creeper

Server: bristlebane
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default ui not loading right at 1st an comp freezes

ok last night tried to get on an play some did complete file check. each time i loged on it did not load ui corectly would miss window selector an one random window.could reload ui an would be fine ... till i zoned then eq would freeze.

now one things eq been is not friendly to 98se last 6 months an atm still usen it. ( long story probly switch to xp soon ) but after their mouse trials an black screen crap , options windows on log in not working an a memory leek ( a big one ) im wondering how bad the house of cards is built ..

but i digress 5 times last night i could log in not have right ui stuff up. even deleted ui files an reinstaled with dif name. same problem an still froze on zoneing. so its not my ui because toons when loged didnt have their httk their so it goes to default an guess what default did .. not show window selector an a random window.

comps been defraged ,did complete file check an deleted an redownloaded eq.maindll . had before 512 an a 128 installed now got two 512 pci 2100 ddr rams sticks in thier .so its posible more ram fugging up the eq game it self (in 98se ) but had more ram before than windows uses efficently tho..

im beting once go xp all these problems go away...but still other games work fine ( guild wars for example ) on 98se.an prospect of swaping os atm is as apealing as the tooth ach ear ach combo sinus infection i have atm .. wee what fun.

while i feel this is not a ui problem ( but could be on server side for 98se ) since it does it on default as well.im posting this here an on my guild site because if i get one more eq techie tell me its a custom ui problem when its their problem i might blow up an go boom.just tired of hearing every thing wrong with eq is custom ui fault from their techs .when its not ala mouse trals an black screens...
any help be apreciated. an yes i know theirs a lose nut behind keybard of my comp to !

"A man has honor if he holds himself to an ideal of conduct though it is inconvenient, unprofitable, or dangerous to do so. "
Walter Lippmann
axeion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

Not sure about the EQ/Win98SE problem, commenting on the swap to XP.

Depending on how much data you have on your hard drive that you want/need to save will determine how much of a pita the swap is. Win XP install on a clean hard drive is very simple. Some problems you may have will probably be due to Service pack 2, as many people had problems with this service pack and EQ. I believe that there is a knowledge base article on it at the EQLive site. If not, I know that is discussed by the dev's in the Tech help forum and a simple search should show all the info and the fix. Also, with XP sp2 you get the Windows Firewall which while helpful, does require some training for proper permisions and such. The 512 RAM is (imho) the minumum for XP to run well.

Good luck with the change, it will be worth it though you will probably hate the OS GUI initially.
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
Turlo
Featured Artist

Featured Artist

Call it a hunch, but check to see if your INI files are flagged as read only.

"Ah, but you HAVE heard of me."
Turlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
axeion
A Predatory Creeper

Server: bristlebane

checked ini files . none seen were read only cept few realy old toons ui's i copied over the last big wipe.got xp an eq installed an got the download down from 39 hours to it says 6 ./bleh

so still no idea if it will fix eq problems as yet . duno what to install for .net for sindle windle .theirs a version on the xp cd .but no clue as to what one .

thanks for the posts an help . hopen to be back full by this week end bar'n illness an acident that should be doable.crosses fingers an toes.
axeion is offline   Reply With Quote