User Name
Password

Old 09-19-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Third Community Summit - EQInterface going

Brenlo has invited me down to the third guild summit.

It is next week thur/sunday I am going to be gathering questions in this thread to take with me for the two round-table discussions.

so please post your question/concerns or feedback you want to share and I will do my very best to get that relayed to SOE.

/bow

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek
Arrow Direction of UI

I know I could list a lot of Came play questions, but after three hours of UI modding I would really like to know what direction, if any, SOE is taking the User Interface. The last patch made a lot of UI changes, yet it seemed to me that there wasn't a whole lot of thought given to it, more like we need to include this for the new expansion so throw it in.

Just my thought and question....
Old 09-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
Turlo
Featured Artist

Featured Artist

The "reload UI 10 times and crash" bug has been around for years. Could we get this one addressed?

"Ah, but you HAVE heard of me."
Turlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

99.9% sure this was asked at the previous two summits but gonna throw it out there again anyway.

UI editor would be a huge timesaver.
(Somehow I don't think that SOE is editing window pieces in their favorite text editor and then /loadskin ad nauseum.)

Weskat
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Silamael
A Gray Wolf

Yeah, i heard EQ2 has an editor for the UI too?
Why not one for the EQ1 UI
Would be a great help.
Silamael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
Grumbuk
A Gray Wolf

Actually we do edit our XML the same way you folks do. We'd like to improve the situation as much as you do I'm sure
Grumbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
Achelous
A Hill Giant

The bug/Change that causes us to no longer be able to make inventory spots that link to the insides of bags without crashing on death would BE so nice if they would somehow fix that I really miss my old UI with the easy access to all my clickies and I know allot of others do too ...
Achelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #8
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek

During Log Out of Game My UI Error log is dumped. I understand from the Tech Forums this happens to a good many users. Could that be changed ?
The only way I can use the error log now is to use the game in windows.
danny91643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
soran
A Tundra Mammoth

I thought of something else.

Now that the EQMain Button replaces the selector window. There is no button/icon we can put on screen that glows or changes color when we have ingame mail. Ask them if they would make the old Selector window buttons useable in the EQMain window. So I can put the email button back on the screen in an interface.

thanks
Soran
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:23 AM   #10
Desideratus
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Venril Sathir

Quote:
Originally Posted by soran
I thought of something else.

Now that the EQMain Button replaces the selector window. There is no button/icon we can put on screen that glows or changes color when we have ingame mail. Ask them if they would make the old Selector window buttons useable in the EQMain window. So I can put the email button back on the screen in an interface.

thanks
Soran

Alt-W still brings up the old selector window (unless you remapped it, in which case Toggle selector window is still one of the options on the options menu ... might be worth remapping it for a few minutes so you can find out what the eqclient.ini line for that would look like if they take the option away at any stage ...), so you can now build any kind of always-on window you want using selector buttons and any EQTyped info you desire ...
Desideratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:25 AM   #11
Desideratus
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Venril Sathir

Speaking of merchant windows - move the buy button one cm left. Re-add a functional "done" button. I don't WANT to be forced to have title bars on my windows ...
Desideratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #12
Drakah
Skinning Guru

Here are some of my questions of perhaps future additions to the functionality of modding interfaces.

1) Code to color the Title Window text to a customized color. Currently it is set to White and cannot be altered.

2) The use of customized INI files, within a customized folder, which the game would parse when a skin is loaded in-game to reference window locations and filtering. We need to get rid of the method of using custom UI INI files from the EverQuest main directory since most people have specific text filtering and tradeskill favorites that get lost when installing a custom insterface via INI file. When using /loadskin, the game should re-parse the INI file instead of ignoring it. Helpful when editing the INI file in-game for precise window locations.

3) Code to choose whether or not the Title bar background becomes stretched or tiled. Currently the graphic gets stretched only and is problematic when creating specific texturized graphics.

4) The Target-of-Target window has become a necessity. We need a EQType for the Name of the Target-of-Target. Also, this window needs to stay up all the time, unless closed. Recently. the Potion belt was altered to stay up all the time, and this method would be very useful for the Target-of-Target window along with the Bandolier window as well.

5) Code to add shadows to text instead of duplicating to make them look like they have shadows. This is important since some EQTypes and default code only display in certain situations. When adding in black text, it does not automatically disappear with the original.

6) EQ2 has font files that are customizable and is very smooth in-game. Would like to see this carry over to EQ1 as the fonts used in Windows viewed in-game are very poor.

7) UI Interface Sounds to be added/customized.

8) I would like to see the Escape to Norrath Spell Icons used in the Default. As for the actual interface, no, unless there was a toggle between what the game would parse for custom interfaces.

9) Code to allow graphics to be layered on top of the Chat window area. Currently, no matter how you layer it, the chat window always wants to stay on top.

10) Ability to add in customized XML windows from scratch, with code to determine whether or not the window is always visable, or disappears upon zoning. This would greatly fix the need to alter already created windows into something totally different (example: in-game web browser instead of using Alt-Enter to goto the web)

11) Tabbed Chat windows.

12) Buff duration timers should have a line around the icon that shows the time left, graphically. Also, buffs that are about to fade sometimes does not blink, Some are quicker to disappear from the buff windows than others. Unknown reason why.

13) Remove the UI_Animations file and place code within their respected XML files. This way 1 file modded would not break the entire interface. All main code should be a part of the XML it is referencing.

14) Ability to click off Pet buffs.

15) Ability to toggle the Levitation bouncing animation.

16) Pointer grid option to turn off the gridwork. Somehow the game snaps to a 2 or 4 pixels when it should be just as fluid as Windows itself. This can get frustrating when using the slider bar for the gamma setting that it jumps a setting on the bar because of this snap feature. (goes from 31 to 42 instead of 31 to 36 to 42).

17) Window location grid option to set how many pixels it should snap to (0 to 10).

18) The Window Selector now has potential to be used as a misc window, since now we have the EQ button to select windows open/closed. Would like to see the Mail button featured somewhere within this as well since the Window Selector window is the only place where this is housed.

19) Able to click threw the invisable areas of windows. Any blank area of a XML window causes you to still click the window instead of something in the environment.

Drakah

shakahr.com
Remember...it is only a GAME

Last edited by Drakah : 09-26-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Drakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 PM   #13
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Ayonae Ro

Quote:
14) Ability to click off Pet buffs.

haven't played in a few days ( damn college classes, who wants to wake up at 11am) but i thought we could already do this..

Quote:
19) Able to click threw the invisable areas of windows. Any blank area of a XML window causes you to still click the window instead of something in the environment.

Would make a lot of current windows broken. if its really a problem, you can usualy just close/move the window, click what you need and put it back. Also, minimalists wouldent be to happy, as many of their UI have low opacity(sp). Many current UI use an invis border as there move handle.

Quote:
7) UI Interface Sounds to be added/customized.

This would be great, but has the posibility for overuse. It would get really annoying after hearing bart simpson say "eye-crumba" every time i use hot button 1. It really would be cool for the first few times its used. I know many players play with sound off ( or maybe its just necros, we are abusive to our pets so we ignore them via sound off). It would work for seldomly used windows, examples would be; tribute window, skills window, and GoD-Expedition/ldon windows.

Quote:
an added button to the tradeskill window to do multiple combines in one click

That Would defeat the purpose of subcombines.

I would like to see some of the hard coded things heated up so they get soft coded. *cough* auto-invintory *cough*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.”
Anne Frank
ArcherPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:17 AM   #14
Kavrvnwlf
A Wooly Rhino

customizable merchant windows again would be nice. i personally liked the old style better. maybe an option to use one or the other would be the best route.
Kavrvnwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #15
kosakara
A Gray Wolf

Server: The Nameless
Default My 2 cents, please donate the change to a newbie

Everyone here has made good points about changes/wishes for UI modifications, adding my wish for a WYSIWYG UI Editor. I know nothing about xml other than it is the bane of my existence after a patch. I love doing graphic art but have no idea how to make it into a useable interface. ((I know I know... stop being lazy and learn xml. ))

So I would hope that someone will bring up the long promised additional character faces/hairstyles.

I've also long heard it muttered by the old world players about how awesome the different armors used to look during the time between Velious' release and Luclin, not just 3 types of looks (leather, chain, plate). Example: I believe Tizmak did not look like regular leather. The new zones are definitely good surroundings but I personally would like to see that kind of graphics potential turned on the player characters.

Last edited by kosakara : 09-23-2005 at 08:33 PM.
kosakara is offline   Reply With Quote