Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Request
User Name
Password

Old 07-28-2002, 11:19 PM   #1
ShaithanAB
A Fire Beetle

Default Old spell icons?

Is it possible to skin the new UI so that you can use the old spell icons? If so, are there any mods already out there for this? I love the new UI, but after playing for 3 years and 57 levels looking at the same icons, it really screws me up when my slow spell now looks like a box of some sort
ShaithanAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:22 AM   #2
Narwyn
A Bat

I would love this also, I really don't like any of the new spell icons at all.
Narwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:34 AM   #3
psychogears
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Xev
Send a message via ICQ to psychogears Send a message via AIM to psychogears Send a message via Yahoo to psychogears

There's a file in there, Spell_Icons.tga, that has a couple of the old icons... that may actually be all of them, I'm not really sure I thought there were more than those... anyway, you could try replacing the spell icon pictures in the spells0?.tga files with the pictures in Spell_Icons.tga, althought that would be pretty tough.

Hey... I just had an idea, I'll do it later though, but it will help with determining which spell uses which picture from which file. I only have 1 character past 50, so I really have not seen all of the spells in the game, maybe not even like 25% of them. I'll post it when I finish.

-TJ

of Xev
psychogears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:52 PM   #4
Loathe
A Fire Beetle

bumpin and reasking. would love to see the old icons back =)
Loathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:41 AM   #5
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

The whole point in adding the icons is to give more varity in the icons.

No more clicking off Potg/Aego cause your thought it was FR.

I do admit, some of VI's icons just plan suck, but some are are. After a bit getting use to them, you wouldn't want to go back.
http://www.chronology-guild.org/
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:58 AM   #6
Nennayan
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Brell Serilis
Send a message via ICQ to Nennayan Send a message via AIM to Nennayan

Well, I refuse to get used to the new icons, and I'm making good progress on my own icon conversion. It's not a literal translation back to the original icons, although I'm using them as much as I can. When a spell uses an icon that doesn't resemble any of the original icons, I just simplify it a bit, to make it more quickly recognizable.

For example, insidious retrogression uses a graphic of a shoe with an hourglass over it. This icon is nearly identical to another icon with a slightly larger shoe, (/boggle) While Shackle of Spirit (Undead only, slows attack speed) uses an icon of an armored arm holding a sword, apparently swinging the sword, with an hourglass over it. I honestly couldn't tell what this icon was supposed to be until I looked at it for a good long time. This icon is inexcusable VI!

In my conversion, both icons are replaced with a simple hourglass, imposed over the old boot graphic and the old arm graphic, respectively. Other spells, like resist fire, use the old shield graphic with the old fire graphic resized and placed in the corner, giving it the same style as the new icon but more easily recognizable for an old fogey like me. Later I'm going to go over the icons again, giving the icons that I know are strictly for beneficial spells a blue background, and strictly bad ones a red background.

Kinda sucks that pact spells, counteract disease, etc don't use the "heal" icon anymore :\
Old 07-31-2002, 08:13 AM   #7
Technetium
A Ghoul

the largest problem i can see with this is determining what the old spell icon designations are.

the old spellicon.tga file is included with the new UI, and all a conversion would require is a bit of cut&paste.

the MAJOR problem with this however, is like i said, determining what spells used what icons before.

im gonna try to check this out tonight, as ive been wanting to do this myself.
Technetium is offline   Reply With Quote