Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Request
User Name
Password

Old 07-29-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
Xecros
A Gray Wolf

Server: Xegony
Default visual xml editor??

It's one thing to edit the xml files, start EQ and see if your changes worked, but i'd like to be able to see if my changes look right withour having to load up EQ and test it.

Is this possible? Is there an XML editor that will do this??
Xecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:50 PM   #2
UniDyne
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: Veeshan
Exclamation

1) The XML that VI is using for the skins isn't very kosher. There is no DTD defining the language. They appear to be using a namespace that is defined from within their program.

2) VI has already stated that this is a Beta. This means that whatever editor anyone writes right now, might not work with next week's version of SIDL.

3) IMHO, I think that VI should have simply used the skin language that was incorporated for the patch program. Read those files - they make sense.

I would be more than happy to code up a UI editor at some point, but before I do, I'd really like to see where VI is going with this and how much functionality is being added. Furthermore, I'd like to see DTDs implemented and a better documentation of how the client interfaces with these files (ie, what values does the client look for and what values can we get from the client)

At any rate, I suspect that the net will be flooded with editors in the near future, assuming more users are curious enough to tinker with their interface!
UniDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:55 AM   #3
chasim
A Ghoul

Default Just Visual

I'm sure after awhile there will be plenty of editors... my question though is can you view what the change/edit will look like WITHOUT going online - sort of like a photo viewer - not that will make any changes, just let you see what the mods you've made will look like without going online?

Thanks.
chasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:03 PM   #4
Nennayan
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Brell Serilis
Send a message via ICQ to Nennayan Send a message via AIM to Nennayan

Well, if it doesn't already, I suppose one of the various EQ emulators would allow you to do that. Maybe you could even run it with EQW, allowing you to have even more freedom.

I'd be tempted to try this myself, since I only have one phoneline at my house and like to keep it open during the day. I'm not worried about it though, because I know someone is making a spiffy editor even as I type.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
tedar
A Ghoul

hmmm a few thoughts in my head , I'm sure you could do a good deal of this in maybe javascript and php ? I don't think that it would be too hard for the more basic stuff like positioning the bars and such ..
tedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:48 PM   #6
Nennayan
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Brell Serilis
Send a message via ICQ to Nennayan Send a message via AIM to Nennayan

Yeah but you'll have to get it to read the TGA files the same way EQ does to properly display transparency.
Nennayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:53 PM   #7
tedar
A Ghoul

I'm pretty sure I could write a piece of code in php on a linux server that would do the trick.

targa -> gif or png would be quite easy to make..

maybe even a flash interface with drag'n'drop could be an idea ..just brainstorming
tedar is offline   Reply With Quote