Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Interface Wish List
User Name
Password

Old 07-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Fonceur
A Gray Wolf

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Disabling invalid bag slots

Each of the 10 slots of a bag has its own eqtype, which is great to create an expanded view of all your bags in your bank and such. But the problem is that in such a mod, a bag with only 2 slots will still have the other 8 "invalid" slots availables. Of course EQ eventually catches up and dump the extra items on the user's cursor, but this can result in a lost of items and/or crashes...

Considering that the hotbutton's already have various possibilities (inventory slot, inventory bag, action, spell icon, pressed or un-pressed, etc.), I would assume that it would be possible to add some logic for when a bag slot is disabled...
Fonceur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Barzec
Premium Member

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I've had several trains of thought on this subject (I have a guild management window mod with a tab for inv/open bags). If at all possible, the info would have to be passed from EQ to the client (our systems) and be available for us to parse. I say this because there would be no other way for our system (which holds the XML templates and does all the work) to know what bag is there unless it can be told up front what is needed.

I am sure the data is sent or can be extracted outside the game as this is something Magelo and Allakhazam's player info parsers already are able to do. I just do not know 1) how to see that info and 2) am not sure it could be used "inside" the game if gathered from outside or 3) if that info could be gathered from the inside the game, during screen rendering.

Why do I make that distinction? Well, if you look at the container XML file, there is nothing in that file that determines how many slots are available for a certain container type. All that file is for is to allow EQ to "make" the container ingame to the specs of that file (regardless of slot count). The XML file only tells EQ where to put the slots and what size to make them etc... I also am not sure this is possible because EQ has not done anything like this as well that I know of. Case in point is any quest that gives a container to you to combine items in. I recall that there are at least a couple quests that have you combine an odd number of items in the supplied container that has an even number of slots available (which can cause some confusion when you are 'ready to combine' but have an extra slot).

I do not have XML experience outside of the UI mods I have made for EQ. I know that XML has the ability to do much more then just define where something is placed on the screen (XSLT templates allow you to do a ton of things).

My assumption is this: If there is a way to pull the container size with the XML code at render time in game, then it should be fairly easy to grey out the unavailable slots.
Barzec is offline   Reply With Quote