Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 07-30-2002, 12:39 AM   #1
lilreaper
A Gray Wolf

Unhappy Black Box around skinned .tga files

Ok, first off when i created the gemmed spellbook skin i noticed that there were black boxes around the parts of the page that i changed. I was wondering if anyone knows hot ot get rid of those black boxes so i can see the texture that shows up on everything else. Im using Microsoft Picture It! Publishing Plat. to shange the .tga files (that may be my problem right there )

Diviine Intervention

We cannot see the future. We cannot change the past. We can only live in the now with an eye towards gaining enough power in the future to wreak revenge on the son-of-a-bitch who killed us in the past.
lilreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:09 AM   #2
rainlord
A Gray Wolf

Default Problem found

Hiya, I had the exact same problem. It was driving me nuts, but late last night I solved it.. Here's how.

First. I was using Photoshop (6.0) with layers and stuff to create my new image (in this case, window_pieces01.tga). So when I wanted to save it, I just flattened my image (to get rid of layering) and then saved as .tga.

The problem is that when you save a previously saved PSD or a "Layered image then flattened" as TGA (24 bit) (with the alpha channel checked if you have PhotoShop 6.0), Photoshop WILL NOT save your alpha channel, thus making everything black - black. Here's how to fix.

1. Save your image as TGA in Photoshop.
2. Close that image.
3. Open the exact same image (now PS will recognize it as a TGA, instead of a PSD even though you did save as TGA).

OPTIONAL (or if you don't have an alpha channel under the "channels tab" or don't want to use the old one, it's NOT optional, otherwise you can jump to #6):

4. Delete the old alpha channel (if there is one) (under the channels tab where you have layers and paths).
5. Create a new alpha channel. Basically, select anything that you want transparent, you can use the magic wand or whatever. Leave the selected stuff selected and go into the channels tab. Now, at the bottom, there's a little icon that says "Save selection as channel".. it's the second button from the left, and looks like a square with a dotted circle in it. Click it. You now have a channel named "Alpha 1" or so.. that is your channel that defines what will be transparent! .. good huh? If you select it, and the other channels as well, you will see in semi-red (assuming you have default settings) what is transparent.

6. Save the Image, check the alpha channel checkbox if PS6. And save as 24 bit when questioned (if you have an option for compressed vs. uncompressed, uncompressed is your choice).
7. Load Everquest. Everything that you selected should now be transparent.

Hope that helps and that it wasn't too cryptic.

Edit: fixed a typo.. twice

.Rainlord
rainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:37 AM   #3
lilreaper
A Gray Wolf

Thanks for the info, hope this works on Picture It!

Diviine
Old 07-30-2002, 11:47 AM   #4
lilreaper
A Gray Wolf

just my luck, dont work with Pic It!, i need PS its lots better

Diviine
Old 08-01-2002, 06:09 AM   #5
tedar
A Ghoul

a bit of added information about targa and alpha in photoshop 7!

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2c21a.htm?code=TA

to cut it short , use photoshop 6 if you've got it , photoshop 7 will to preserve the alpha channel - period.

2 hours of trying out different things out went to hell .. lol
tedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:25 AM   #6
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Default Another Thread

Hiya! Glad to know I wasn't the only one with that problem. I posted on this thread in another section. After a lot of chatting to myself, I finally figured it out. Maybe my quick and simple walkthrough will help - although I know nothing of Picture It. Gluck to ya!

~Lady Silver

Btw, Love the Words to Live By.
Lady Silver is offline   Reply With Quote