Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
valaury3169
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Aggro meter use

Does anyone find this new feature useful? If so, how? In my experience so far, most of the information seems meaningless. If I am playing a tank, my main concern is whether I am in danger of losing the mobs attention, and chossing to expend a special aggro generating ability to avoid that. However, my number can be anything from 25 on, and the mob still is hitting me. I now have to compare my number to the rest and see how close someone else is to my number, whatever that may be. Too much math on the fly. Not to mention that proximity doesn't seem to be factored in. Pets typically occupy the 'second most hated' label (on the tank) or a merc if it is anyone else.

Maybe I am missing something, but the numbers just seem like a jumbled mess, and I am more effective if I just ignore the numbers and play by instinct that I learned from the last 13 years of playing.

The only reason I bring it up is that I modified my personal pieces to display the information, but I am seriously considering yanking them because they come across as clutter.

Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited by valaury3169 : 12-27-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Clarify subject
valaury3169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
firescue17
Premium Member

Server: Vox

I kinda have the same opinion, "so what."

Granted, I would have liked to have had this when I was raiding cutting edge content.

Grouped with my boxes, I just don't care. Occasionally, when I'm slacking, I'll lose aggro to a caster crit bomb; but I already "knew" that was a potential risk and when it does occur, the aggrometer doesn't tell me anything different than HoTT.

I believe it has limited use due to the way aggro works. I can't recall a time when I *ever* lost aggro due to creep; i.e. aggro generated due to consistent dps . .. 80% aggro, 90% aggro, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... oops, HoTT changes. If aggro worked like that, or one was such a terribly geared or unskilled player they were losing aggro due to creep, I could see the benefit.

More often than not, HoTT changes due to a crit or active use of a disc, where it jumps from 10% or 20% to 100%. In that case, the aggrometer is useless. The only alternative is to use a taunt, terror or disc of your own.

The only thing I've found the aggrometer useful for is providing another reason to complain about my tank merc.

firescue17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous

Don't have RoF yet so no experience with that meter. But unless it shows the hate values I would find it useless. Doesn't much matter though for a paladin that nukes like a crazed wizard.

"Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working properly when you open Windows."
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
danille
Feeling Elemental?

Server: Bristlebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by valaury3169
Does anyone find this new feature useful? If so, how? In my experience so far, most of the information seems meaningless. If I am playing a tank, my main concern is whether I am in danger of losing the mobs attention, and chossing to expend a special aggro generating ability to avoid that. However, my number can be anything from 25 on, and the mob still is hitting me. I now have to compare my number to the rest and see how close someone else is to my number, whatever that may be. Too much math on the fly. Not to mention that proximity doesn't seem to be factored in. Pets typically occupy the 'second most hated' label (on the tank) or a merc if it is anyone else.

Maybe I am missing something, but the numbers just seem like a jumbled mess, and I am more effective if I just ignore the numbers and play by instinct that I learned from the last 13 years of playing.

The only reason I bring it up is that I modified my personal pieces to display the information, but I am seriously considering yanking them because they come across as clutter.

Does anyone have any advice?

The advantage is quite obvious. It allows players to max out on DPS with zero risk of drawing aggro. And yes shilling, it does provide hate values to each player in the form of percentages to being at the top of the hate list. (zero to 100% with 100% meaning you now have aggro!)

Danille Impholder
The Magician's Tower
Bristlebane ~ Sol Invictus
Keep Norrath Safe
Caretaker of AYA
danille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
valaury3169
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by danille
The advantage is quite obvious. It allows players to max out on DPS with zero risk of drawing aggro. And yes shilling, it does provide hate values to each player in the form of percentages to being at the top of the hate list. (zero to 100% with 100% meaning you now have aggro!)

That's the problem though, 100 does not mean you have agro. As a boxer, I can confirm with certainty that the person with the highest number has aggro, but that number can be well below 100. I can also tell you that as a tank, I can be at 100, and the next lowest can be less than 80, and getting pushed out of melee range will instantly drop me off the top of the list.

I need to know how far above everyone I am. If I am barely above the next person, I'll load up on abilities until I have a cushion. If I have a cushion, I can conserve endurance. The numbers don't seem to convey that. Sometimes I can step backwards (usually in an attempt to reposition the mob), my aggro is high enough that it will follow me.Sometimes it will give up on me and switch to someone else. Looking at the numbers will not indicate to me which will occur if I back up. Whether they are at 20 or 80 doesn't seem to indicate whether they will stay on me or not.
valaury3169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillingworth
Don't have RoF yet so no experience with that meter. But unless it shows the hate values I would find it useless. Doesn't much matter though for a paladin that nukes like a crazed wizard.

This is one of the reasons I'm refraining from republishing the 1280x#### UI I have updated. I don't know where these gauges go or whanot. right now i just have the code in the window so it doesn't error but otherwise I haven't a clue how I should configure these.
Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
danille
Feeling Elemental?

Server: Bristlebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inokis
This is one of the reasons I'm refraining from republishing the 1280x#### UI I have updated. I don't know where these gauges go or whanot. right now i just have the code in the window so it doesn't error but otherwise I haven't a clue how I should configure these.

well you can always just use the SOE stand alone aggro meter window and not code the group window with the individual aggro meters in them at all.
danille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danille
well you can always just use the SOE stand alone aggro meter window and not code the group window with the individual aggro meters in them at all.
OK, I got some stuff mixed up. I haven't done anything with the aggro meter. I had missing components in the Player Window that i added just to get the errors fixed but even with the default window I don't see them anywhere:
Code:
<Button item="PW_GroupRoleTank"> <ScreenID>GroupRoleTank</ScreenID> <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition> <Style_Transparent>false</Style_Transparent> <Style_Checkbox>false</Style_Checkbox> <ButtonDrawTemplate> <NormalDecal>A_Tank</NormalDecal> </ButtonDrawTemplate> <Location> <X>0</X> <Y>0</Y> </Location> <Size> <CX>0</CX> <CY>0</CY> </Size> </Button> <Button item="PW_GroupRoleAssist"> <ScreenID>GroupRoleAssist</ScreenID> <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition> <Style_Transparent>false</Style_Transparent> <Style_Checkbox>false</Style_Checkbox> <ButtonDrawTemplate> <NormalDecal>A_Assist</NormalDecal> </ButtonDrawTemplate> <Location> <X>0</X> <Y>0</Y> </Location> <Size> <CX>0</CX> <CY>0</CY> </Size> </Button> <Button item="PW_GroupRolePuller"> <ScreenID>GroupRolePuller</ScreenID> <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition> <Style_Transparent>false</Style_Transparent> <Style_Checkbox>false</Style_Checkbox> <ButtonDrawTemplate> <NormalDecal>A_Puller</NormalDecal> </ButtonDrawTemplate> <Location> <X>0</X> <Y>0</Y> </Location> <Size> <CX>0</CX> <CY>0</CY> </Size> </Button>
I'm guessing you have to be in a group to see these and they are the indicators for the role the group leader assigns you?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
firescue17
Premium Member

Server: Vox

Which has what to do with the aggrometer?
firescue17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firescue17
Which has what to do with the aggrometer?
It doesn't, thats what i was explaining. I got them mixed up. I had already explained that in the post above...Reading is good.

I then went on to elaborate on the problem I had mixed up.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Turlo
Featured Artist

Featured Artist

I think the aggro meter really is determined on your class and the situation. Personally, I LOVE IT. My wife could care less on her cleric, but loves it on her rogue. However, once she saw it in use with a tank in the group, it started making more sense on her cleric.

I am finishing up the tweaks on my updated player window with a lot of new features added. Perhaps seeing the aggro meter in the way I presented it will make more sense to you. It really helps when the MT accidently zones out of Naggy's Lair and you and a lower levle monk have to tank a mob. It allowed me to exactly control the aggro to keep her alive, yet let her take a hit now and then so the healer could keep up. Great tool!

"Ah, but you HAVE heard of me."
Turlo is offline   Reply With Quote