User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Sandcaster
A Gray Wolf

Server: Veeshan
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandcaster
Default EQ UIs vs. WoW

I play both EverQuest and World of Warcraft and pose an interesting question to the community, due to the fact that EQ UIs have been rather ordinary lately.

The question is this: Why can WoW have such great UIs like Outcasts, Insomniax Recompilation, Gemini, and mods like CTMod, CTRaidAssist, FuBar, Titan, Auctioneer, etc when EQ can't use such informative UIs? Does this have something to do with the EverQuest EULA? If so, EQ has a very confining EULA compared to WoW's for sure. I am interested in making a caster based UI, mainly for wizards. My 70 Wizard has been looking for a Wizard UI for a long time, and has yet to find one. Ever loot an item and wonder "what the heck is this for?" I love Insomniax and Outcasts on WoW because it'll tell you if it's for smithing, enchanting, tailoring or if it's just miscellaneous. Wouldn't that be great in EQ? Not everyone can window out of EverQuest like I can.

I'd love to see EQ Insomniax or EQ Outcasts, that'd be g reat!

Sandcaster
Lvl 70 Wizard EverQuest

Lvl 33 Mage, World of Warcraft

and soon to be in Vanguard
Sandcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

EverQuest only breaks out their interface into XML which is not a scripting language, it’s a markup language really only meant to customize the visual feel. WoW allows interface authors to write scripts with .lua allowing authors to add new functions to the interface. So its not because its against the EULA its because EverQuests custom interface system wasn’t designed like WoW's. Most games only break out xml for visual changes and dont go as far as adding .lua support as it opens a big can of worms.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Egras
A Lost Soul

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

EQ isnt a new program like those either. Its decent for the time is was released.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Sandcaster
A Gray Wolf

Send a message via Yahoo to Sandcaster
Default RE: EQ vs. WoW UIs

Remember the nice looking UIs of a couple years ago? I'd like to see some of those cool UIs come back again. I've seen a Ranger and a Beastlord one that look pretty good but nothing for Mage, Chanter or Wizard or Druid or Shaman. I think we could put our creative minds together and make a great recompilation UI. I do hear what you're saying about the UI language being different from WoW so making another Insomniax would be impossibe (unless SOE adopts a newer language for its UIs). I'm really looking into how I could make a cool UI for Wizards and Mages, this one I saw years ago for Mages was so cool. It had a spellbook with a pentacle for placing your spells, which fits in with my beliefs LOL.

My idea would be a semi clean UI yet with lots of graphics, particularly on the inventory window and the spellbook. I am curious however to see how TSS will change the EQ landscape. Some of the effects Insomniax and some of the other WOW UIs use would be too messy for a lot of EQ players though I do believe. Lets say they show someone's Ancient: Core Fire going off CB in a HUGE font. Now that would really be messy for EQ!

Well thats all for now, I'll get back with more ideas in a little bit, I'm fighting a flu at the moment and not a Brazilian soccer team (FLUmenense) hehe.

Sandy
Sandcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Egras
A Lost Soul

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Sorry. Im a minimalist coder. All that pretty junk does nothing but use up space. Surely not my style.
Egras is offline   Reply With Quote