Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-29-2002, 07:43 AM   #1
Orpington2019
A Shissar Disciple

Default Minimalist Player info window?

I was wondering if anyone has developed a player /group window that instad of having bars and percentages it shows just the percentage. The only bars I really care to see in my opinion are the XP bars and as those are now percentage anyways I really don't need to see those either. I think it would save a hell of a lot of space for people developing lower rez UI. If there someone has developed this, could someone please post a link? thanks...

-Orpington
56 Bard(still...ugh)
Xegony
Orpington2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:47 PM   #2
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

Wow I thought mine was minimalist. You humble me. I think I could find time to do that for you though. Detail exactly what you want. I'm guessing you want:

Player Window
HP%
MANA%

Group Window
HP_1%
HP_2%
HP_3%
HP_4%
HP_5%

Do you want pet HPs? Anything else?
Epiphany EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
Orpington2019
A Shissar Disciple

Default player window...

What i would like to see is something like this:

My Name
My Current HP
My Max HP
My HP %
My Mana %
My XP%
My AA XP%

If you could sneak all that in to the top of the Group window I would love ya forever...

-Orpington

(Edit)
ANd in the group window just percentages..

I play a bard so i never target other peoples pets...

Can you give me a link to your window? This might be what i am looking for or at least give me an idea or two...))

Thanks again...
Old 09-29-2002, 02:03 PM   #4
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

So like thisish:

Orpington <-- your name
1000/2000 < -- HPs/Max HPs
50% 100% <-- HP %, Mana %
25% 83% <-- XP %, AA XP %

or literally the way you wrote it suchlike:

Orpington <-- your name
1000 <-- HPs
2000 <-- Max HPs
50% <-- HP %
100% <-- Mana %
25% <-- XP %
83% <-- AA XP %

With no labels or anything? I figure if you make the HP % red and the Mana % blue, those are self explanatory. Then the XP %s would be yellow. Both yellow ok? Will you be able to remember which is which easy enough?

PS: The screenshots of my UI are way out of date by now. I'll take new ones soon - when I'm closer to done with it. What I do for player window is

HP Bar (with pet underline)
Mana Bar
Stamina Bar / Casting Bar

I figure I know my name, and the bars are cleaner than the numbers. I have a version that puts the HP % and MANA % on top of the bars, but it looks cleaner without. I don't like the XP stuff there. It's best not to look at that bar too much you know? So it just looks like a red bar, a blue bar, and a yellow bar. Not a single letter or number on it.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:51 PM   #5
Orpington2019
A Shissar Disciple

Talking Thanks...

I actually had to go in to Corel and see which I liked better...LOL

You are right about the name...I don't need that

the version of

1350/2200
50% 78%
85% 78%

is realy great and kind of stick with the EQ standard, but I think I want it to be like this

1350----current hp
2000-----max hp
50% ---current hp%(red)
78%-----current mana%(blue)
85%-----current xp%(gold or yellow)
49%------current aa xp%(gold or yellow)

ANd after looking at this, I am thinking I don't even need the % symbol there...if that is possible...

I do play in 800x600 if that matters any....(this should be an easy window as there is nothing there...LOL)

Thanks again....))

-Orpington of Xegony

just had a thought...

If you do something like this
3000----current hp at highest fontsize
5000-----max hp at highest fontsize
you could put the % numbers 2 on a line if they are smaller fonts(not sure if you can change fontsize mid window)
75 50----hp% mana %
25 77----xp% aaxp%

Is there anything flashy that can be done to fonts? LIke flashing or anything? I have seen a lot of animated windows but never noticed if the fonts were animated?

Last edited by Orpington2019 : 09-29-2002 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:12 PM   #6
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

You can change font sizes and colors, but I'm not aware of any way to make them flash.

Oh, and I tried 800x600 once too, but there just wasn't enough screen real-estate to go around at that resolution. Once I split my chat window into one for chat and one for melee, the screen was basically used up.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:18 PM   #7
Rolleo
A Snow Griffin

seems there's been some updates since I first saw the request, hehe. Anyways, I worked on it based on what you first asked for, and this is what I came up with:

I'll make adjustments to it based on the recent posts.
Rolleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 04:53 PM   #8
Orpington2019
A Shissar Disciple

Default pretty close

That's pretty close to what i was looking for...

Can you remove the Mana and stamina words and just have %?

Can the party window be condensed so that it only shows part of a persons name like how the target window cuts it off?

-Orpington
Old 09-29-2002, 05:10 PM   #9
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

Hehe. guess I'll skip it then. Good job on that.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:35 PM   #10
Rolleo
A Snow Griffin

Based on your stacked idea

Based on your 2 items per line idea

I'm not sure the Groupmember names can be cut off. What you see there is the same default items you would in the game right now, the names will get cut off just like the target name would if it was too long.

I'll try it, but I think if you make the area too small, it won't display the groupmember name at all.

After looking all 3 of those, do you get a better idea of what exactly you want? Post what ya think.

Epiph, sorry bout that. hehe I didn't read your posts while I was doing this. I hope you don't think I was trying to beat you to the gun on this, I was just really bored and had the time to bang these out.

Old 09-29-2002, 06:47 PM   #11
Orpington2019
A Shissar Disciple

Default hrm....

After seeing it in the group window it's not quite what I see in my head for this...

What I would like is a small box with my current hp number in the larget font and my max HP in largest font right below that and then my hp% and mana% on next line down then xp% and aaxp% next line down....

-Orpington
Old 09-29-2002, 07:42 PM   #12
Rolleo
A Snow Griffin

I tried changing the font size for the HP, and regardless of what I change it to, it stays at 3pt size. So, I don't think you're going to get quite what you're looking for.

So basically, you're wanting two seperate windows again? A player info window and a group window?
Old 09-30-2002, 09:06 AM   #13
Orpington2019
A Shissar Disciple

Default player info window

yeah, basically not worrying about the group window...

Even with not being able to change the font it should still be possible to put currenthp on on line and then max on next line,,,

98 25
42 35

I think this would be really cool but i have never seen anyone else not using bars...

I just don't get why we need bars anyways except that they have been there since the begining....this game is just about numbers anyways...not role playing features....

-Orpington
Old 09-30-2002, 12:29 PM   #14
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

Personally I've always preferred analog gauges over digital ones. Just think of dashboards in cars. There was a brief period in the 80s when Knight Rider was cool when there was a movement to put digital spedometers in cars. I dare you to find a major model new car with one today. You see with an analog gauge you get the gist at a glance even out of the corner of your eye. They are really good for when you want a general impression of how much you've got. Like I have about half of my HPs left or I'm going about 60 miles per hour. When you want to know you have exactly 1023 HPs left or you're going 61.3 mph, the digital gauge is what you'd want. So which are you really interested in, quick information or detailed information? If you really care exactly how many HPs you have, you are staring at your bar too much. Maybe you should watch what's going on in the game more.

I've also found that the digital gauges give a false sense of accuracy. Between lag and update rates on things like HPs, your HPs will actually be off by quite a bit. Those digits of precision you are looking at aren't really very accurate anyway.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:31 PM   #15
Rolleo
A Snow Griffin

The last picture I posted is exactly what you just described, except it has the groupmembers with it.

Current HP
Max HP
HP% Mana%
EXP% AAXP%

Is that what you mean? If so, it would be a simple task to place it back into it's own window seperate from the groupmembers.