Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 08-02-2002, 01:44 PM   #1
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Default Confused... as usual

I loaded Quartz the other day to check it out and am using it for one of my characters atm. After doing so, I started playing with colors (I'm starting simple... hehe). I've created a couple of different files that change only the color. So - in uifiles, I have the following folders: Quartz (default files over-written by the download, no personal changes made) & Orchids (default files over-written Only by window_pieces0*.tga).

My question is this: why when I load Orchids does it not revert to the Default window sizes/shapes? It changes the colors just fine - but I'm still left with the Quartz design. I like it, but I'm curious. Is it because I had to paste over my characters UI_name_server# to use Quartz properly (if so, that doesn't quite make sense... but I'm no expert)? Or is it because EQ doesn't find a conflict with the design when I'm only loading new colors and it chooses to leave the Quartz design alone?

Again, not a problem - I'd just like to understand.

Thanks!

~Lady Silver
Lady Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 01:59 PM   #2
Chronwaas
Skinner Extraordinaire

Server: Saryrn
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Hey Lady silver

Not quite sure which part of this you are referring to butI will try to answer with two responses

First if you are referring to the positioning and size of the windows reverting back to their original then you may want to try

/loadskin Orchids 1

This will keep the current layout.

If what you are referring to is the fact that when you do the loadskin the new .tga graphics file does not load this is because all of the .tga files load up in to the system when you first select the server you wish to play on at that time. You know that long delay you have after you select a server before it brings up your character select screen. If you watch carefully what is going on and interpret it a little you will find that this is the point that all of your .tga files are getting loaded. Because of this you can not change the .tga files while in the game by just using the /loadskin command. In order for the changed .tga files to take effect you will need to do the /loadskin command and then exit to at least the server select screen(but you may need to go all the way to the desktop) and come back in. At that point you should see the new .tga files in place.

Let me know if that did not make sense. sometimes my fingers go a little faster than my brain can spit out the information.
Chronwaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 02:42 PM   #3
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

I think you made perfect sense. But if you did, then it didn't answer my question. hehe. And actually (unusually from what I gather), I have no problem with /loadskin while in-game. I loaded from Default to Quartz while in-game without zoning or logging down in any fashion. Just lucky, I guess.

What I'm asking about is this: I'm using Quartz - its background (the bg_*_rock.tga) and colors (window_pieces0*.tga) are grey or blue or something. I have a seperate file named Orchids that uses the original (default) layout - rectangles instead of the cool wavey-stuff, etc. The only thing I've changed in there are the background and colors (it's a teal). When using Quartz, I load to Orchids. It would make sense that it would go back to EQ's default styling and layout, using my teal colors. But instead, it maintains Quartz's wavey-stuff and other additions, just changes the colors.... having just thought about that a moment, I'm pretty sure it does not change the background, tho.... only the colors. If I load up my Defaults-with-Red-Pieces, it keeps Quartz styling and changes to red colors. And yes, even if I log completely out of the game and reload, it still has Quartz + Red/Teal/Whatever..... Just odd, imo. /shrug

Thanks for your help, tho!

~Lady Silver
Old 08-02-2002, 02:56 PM   #4
Chronwaas
Skinner Extraordinaire

Server: Saryrn
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default ahhhh

When you created the Orchids directory did you copy over the files from the Quartz directory or from the original Default directory to get your base set of files. Is almost sounds like you copied the files from the quartz directory which would make sense because Statix made a number of changes to the .tga files as well. and if that is the case then you still have those files in your Orchids directory.

What you might try is making a copy of the .tga file that you changed somewhere else and get rid of all the files in this directory and replace them with the original files from the default directory. Then copy your file(s) back to this new directory and try loading EQ and see if that works.

Statix did a lot of work on his skin and the graphics files that he gave out as well. Let me know if that makes a difference.
Chronwaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 03:43 PM   #5
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Default :)

That would explain it.... except that I started the Orchids file before I downloaded Quartz. Didn't start messing with it until later, but the file was in place. Same goes with a couple others. I've been very careful about making copies of Default. They all say "copy of default" before I change them. Oh well... my computer gets cranky - maybe this is yet another fine example. lol

~Lady Silver