User Name
Password

Old 04-16-2004, 04:46 AM   #1
Zoransis
A Gray Wolf

Server: Luclin
Send a message via AIM to Zoransis
Unhappy combattheme1.mp3

I always prefered the classic, pre-luclin EQ combat music to what came after. I prefer other MP3s even more than that.

I would like a way to "skin" the combattheme1.mp3 and combattheme2.mp3 which currently live in the EQ root directory. Overwriting these files should get clobbered by the patcher, so putting my own files in place of these shouldn't work.

I have 2 really nice combat MP3s that will loop well and sound very stylin', if only I had a way to skin them.

Am I missing some info on some choice ini or XML editing, or is this a potential wishlist feature?
Old 04-16-2004, 05:17 AM   #2
bobdz
A Hill Giant

Server: Erollisi Marr

Well you could always run patcher dont hit Play, then over write the MP3's you want. Takes awhile but as of yet only way I know how to do this.
bobdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:21 AM   #3
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

To get the patcher to 'not' overwrite the combattheme's you have chosen to use... do the following...

Run the patcher normally (but don't press play once its done)
Once it is finished patching, copy and paste the combattheme's you want to use in the EQ Directory.
Then go back to your Patcher, then click on the 'Advanced' button.
UNCHECK the Plane of Power box
Click 'Save' and then log-in.

As long as you have the Planes of Power box unchecked it will not overwrite the combattheme music you want used. I have been doing this for sometime and it has yet to overwrite my combattheme music. Enjoy!

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

another way, is you just change the shortcut target to eqgame.exe patchme. This keeps the game from patching. Then i just run the patcher on patch days.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Orpington2019
A Shissar Disciple

Default Would this work?

Could you just edit the file that you want down to the same size as the default one. Does it check the file size to determine if it overwrites it? Just curious how it works...
Orpington2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Haliken
Quintessence of EQUI XML

<combattheme1.mp3 TimeStamp="1028124540" Size="1012059" CRC="890227205"/>
<combattheme2.mp3 TimeStamp="1028635980" Size="1036662" CRC="1968732073"/>

You'd have to match the TimeStamp, Size, and CRC (checksum) of the file to make it bypass the patcher.

Easiest way is do what Inokis said. Create a shortcut to eqgame.exe and add "patchme" (no quotes) after eqgame.exe and then recopy the MP3 every time you patch.

Enok
Haliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
Qinadwen
An Executioner

Server: Venril Sathir

Quote:
Originally posted by bobdz
Well you could always run patcher dont hit Play, then over write the MP3's you want. Takes awhile but as of yet only way I know how to do this.

You can do this with a simple batch file - I do it with the storyline files.

Make a copy of your mp3-files somewhere on your harddrive and make a batch-file (combat.bat // combat.cmd for NT based systems) with the command :

copy [path to your mp3]\combattheme1.mp3 [path to EverQuest mp3]\combattheme1.mp3
copy [path to your mp3]\combattheme2.mp3 [path to EverQuest mp3]\combattheme2.mp3

syntax for copy command is : COPY [source-path][source-filename] [destination-path][destination-filename]

and run this file every time after you patched - but before you press play

Baron Qinadwen Loreseeker, Koada'Dal Conjurer of the 56th plane.

Thomas Jefferson:
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
Qinadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
Zoransis
A Gray Wolf

Quote:
Originally posted by Zantaklawz
To get the patcher to 'not' overwrite the combattheme's you have chosen to use... do the following...

Run the patcher normally (but don't press play once its done)
Once it is finished patching, copy and paste the combattheme's you want to use in the EQ Directory.
Then go back to your Patcher, then click on the 'Advanced' button.
UNCHECK the Plane of Power box
Click 'Save' and then log-in.

As long as you have the Planes of Power box unchecked it will not overwrite the combattheme music you want used. I have been doing this for sometime and it has yet to overwrite my combattheme music. Enjoy!
This works perfectly. Thanks, it's really helpful. Now I can consider swapping out some other music I don't particularly like... Maybe play Metallica when visiting Rivervale...

BTW, what I chose to do was use some Final Fantasy VII midi music that is publically accessable via the web, then use a WAV recorder that can record from the "mixer out" of my sound card, then convert the WAV to a MP3. It's not too hard, there are a lot of tools out there to do this, some included with sound cards. (I found I liked the standard FF7 combat music and "Hurry!")
Zoransis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
Zoransis
A Gray Wolf

Default When is theme 1 used?

So far, every battle I have, yellow cons pvp or green cons pve, I always hear combattheme2.mp3 ... under what circumstances does the game play theme 1?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #10
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

I have found that it is random when you zone.... I have entered WK and fought there and my music was Combat 1, and then leave, come back to WK and fight the exact same mobs and have Combat 2. Sometimes it could take a few zone in's, but it changes. Whether or not this is accurate, but has done so for me. *shrugs*
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 07:41 PM   #11
Zoransis
A Gray Wolf

Ah, I've been in several zones and fighting various mobs, even leaving game and coming back a few times... combattheme2 every time. So I changed it so the FF7 standard combat music is theme 2, and the "hurry" combat music is theme 1.

Probably need to make my next spell level to hear it!

Oh yeah my brand new kitty zerker also is hearing theme 2 every time, zoning into shar vahl and back out to shadeweaver's... maybe there's something about the file size, length, CRC or other attribute that makes it more or less popular with EQ.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:28 AM   #12
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

If you would like, I can email you the original EQ Midi files...?
ÆÆÆÆ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
durxll
A Fire Beetle

Anyone have a link to the combat theme(s), in MP3? I have tried all these midi to mp3 converters, and they only give me like a minute of a song on the trial. After it converts that minute, they dont even work. Its weird. Anyone know where I can get that already converted, or those?
durxll is offline   Reply With Quote