Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis
Default Need some pointing in the right direction

I was trying to revive one of my old uis. I put the equi.xml file with only the windows I modded. As far as I know this is the practice for creating a ui that doesn't break if something new is added. These are the errors I got, and since I haven't touched UI modding in at least 4 years I would appreciate some assistance figuring out what is wrong since to my knowledge none of these dependencies were modded:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
firescue17
Premium Member

Server: Vox

Actually, the opposite is true.

If you put EQUI.xml into your custom UI folder and do not update it every single time a window is added, the UI will always break. Unless you are using using an .xml include or want to update EQUI.xml every single time a window is added, you do not want to put EQUI.mxl into your custom UI folder.

For the least amount of maintenance, leave EQUI.xml out.

Regarding the errors in the attached file, I believe those errors exist in the default UI also. Unless you have modded EQLSUI_CreditsWnd.xml I would disregard them.

firescue17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
valaury3169
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Actually, the way the EQUI.xml file is supposed to work in your custom UI folder is to gut it, then reference the EQUI.xml in the default directory. Then you can add entries for custom xml files to hold your custom elements. Copying the default EQUI.xml as is into your custom folder is not a good idea though.

This post from way back goes into detail on how it is supposed to work How to make your UI never break

Last edited by valaury3169 : 12-18-2012 at 10:22 AM.
valaury3169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
firescue17
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firescue17
Unless you are using using an .xml include . . .

That's what an .xml include is.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Maybe I'm missing something but that is the post I read before posting this. Maybe I'm not understanding something.

What I am used to doing is creating windows using the default style in my own folder. Then adding the eqtypes, sizing them, adding custom graphics etc.

I would always have to update whenever a new eqtype was added or a new ui item because the UI would fail to load. I'm just trying to make it so it won't break and I can add whatever is new as it rolls out but leave the custom ui functional.

Last edited by Inokis : 12-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
valaury3169
Enhanced Imperial Golem

I think I kinda misunderstood your post, but I think you still have an issue with the way you are using it. A custom EQUI.xml will only have includes for files that are not in the standard set. You can't create new windows, so you would never have an entry in your EQUI.xml for, say, EQUI_TargetWindow.xml, even if you modded it. If you include ..\default\EQUI.xml, then you wouldn't need to put any of the stock entries in your custom one because they would get added by including the original. Really the only thing that would need to go in your custom EQUI.xml are custom xml files. For example, if you made another .xml file for your custom animations called EQUI_Custom_Animations.xml, this file you would <include> in your custom EQUI.xml.

If you are simply modifying a stock file, you won't need EQUI.xml at all.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

So if i made a custom target window way back when, that no longer uses the current con graphics etc, I would need to add the changes for that target window to a custom equi.xml now since the window is completely different in how the con works?

I knew you can't make new windows I'm just trying to understand how to make the new windows work.

For example, the Group window I have, I need to add the leader and context options etc.

One question, are the Raid Leader and Group Leader XP mechanics still in the game. I have gauges for those in the custom UI.

Last edited by Inokis : 12-18-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
valaury3169
Enhanced Imperial Golem

When you mod a window, like in your case the EQUI_TargetWindow.xml, you simply copy that file to your custom directory. When EQ loads, it looks in your custom folder for all of the files. If it doesn't find the file, it then loads the file from the default folder. So, in your case, it will load the target window from your folder (and not even look at the one in default), but, since EQUI_GroupWnd.xml doesn't exist in your folder, it will then load it from default.

If this is all you are doing, then you won't have to mess with EQUI.xml at all. Don't copy one into your directoy at all. It is not needed.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

That isn't the case though. It loads the entire UI just fine. The target window with the background works just fine. The problem lies in how they changed the con animation in the Target window. The con colors for the target don't show up.

So now the question lies do I rename the custom graphics files that used to be the con colors as the new Target Window fill texture and just make graphics for the target box 0x0 pix?

The new target window is completely baffling me it was a lot easier at one point.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
firescue17
Premium Member

In order to facilitate auto stretching, the current Target Box is designed more like a WindowDrawTemplate than a regular static animation, even though it is a static animation. It consists of 5 parts:

Top Border: A_TargetBoxTop / A_TargetBoxStaticAnimTop
Left Border: A_TargetBoxLeft / A_TargetBoxStaticAnimLeft
Right Border: A_TargetBoxRight / A_TargetBoxStaticAnimRight
Bottom Border: A_TargetBoxBottom / A_TargetBoxStaticAnimBottom
Fill (Background): A_TargetBoxFill / A_TargetBoxStaticAnimFill

All 5 parts change color based upon Con.

Using the following abbreviations:
T= Top Border
L= Left Border
R= Right Border
B= Bottom Border
F= Fill

The graphic layout is as follows:

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
LFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFR
LFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFR
LFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFR
LFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFR
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

To incorporate another graphic requires two steps. 1) Redefine the Ui2DAnimations; 2) Adjust the StaticAnimations.

It's pretty straighforward once one understands how the graphics are laid out as illustrated above.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

I gave up. I can't figure out how to make one single graphic the con graphic that matchese the background graphic. It makes no sense to me how they've changed it.

They did the same stupid thing with the player window attack indicator.

Last edited by Inokis : 12-19-2012 at 04:53 AM.