Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > XML modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2003, 09:28 AM   #31
shadzar
A Bat

Default reason for percents

even with Neverwinter Nights, there is nothing even close to being a MMORG for old school PnP users like myself...who played dungeons and dragons for years....then got introduced into EQ...and 2 years after hearing about figured what the heck and bought Gold Edition...now going from D&D where the numbers are everywhere, to where numbers are just hap-hazardly thrown into the companies defualt ui. can throw you off.

by haphazard i mean that the default INV window has a few number for you like HP, ATK, STR, etc...well if they thought this was important for you to know, then why not give you all the numbers, including mana, XP, etc. or just give all bars. cause you can in theory and with practice do without any numbers at all cept for money and have your stats for STR, HP, saves, etc.

and the fact that we most learned numbers as values, we werent taught with bar graphs for everything.....and i mean every value being a shaded bar....no one was brought up that way.

also quick ease of reading....some people may have bad eye sight in RL which could mean they are left out from being able to do things quickly when having to find how far along this bar is.

now myself being one of those color-blind and general bad eye sighted people i love the numbers, and really wish i could see my xp and mana pool values.....but dont get me wrong....i would love to see more fantasy based UIs...not that i wold be able to see thru them with there clashing colors and such....but would love to see the work put into them.

my favorite INV window is one i dont even use, and it is the Da Vinci model of a man with the slots located on the body parts.

and being that 2 reasons a UI is made....one for looks to make it prettier, and 2 for ease of use....quicker and better game play.

the slimline number everywhere UIs are for most servers i think, and those without all the numbers but more fantasy look and the pictures looking like a framed painting are more for the RP servers...

it all comes down to use what you like, or make it yourself....and that is how i came to this thread.....thank you for allowing me to put in my 2000000000cp worth. (You are now encumbered)
shadzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:52 AM   #32
Haliken
Quintessence of EQUI XML

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

You sure picked an ancient thread for your first post shadzar. It's been dead for like 9 months... how'd you find it? I don't think half these people even post here anymore.

Anyway, I'd like to correct a couple things here.

First, gauges are definately more accurate than percents and do not display rounded data as is what Nennayen said. I have a sub-sub bar to my exp gauges that is perfectly accurate to 0.04 percent (I can kill an old world light blue and watch it move 1 or 2 pixels). Not to mention the hp and mana bars are much more accurate than their percentage counterparts, although for hp the hp value is just as accurate and easier to read than the gauge. Although the target's hp doesn't update constantly, when it does, during that moment the gauge is more accurate than the percent (and the gauge isn't simply showing data rounded to the nearest percent).

Also, since this thread was started dozens of beautiful UIs have been made.

It's pretty obvious that since 9 months after this thread was last posted on, percent labels are still used everywhere, and since they were added to the default UI, that they're here to stay.

Enok
Haliken is offline   Reply With Quote