Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 01-20-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Rolleo
A Snow Griffin

Default 2nd attempt, PsP + transparency

I asked this question before, but didn't actually recieve a suitable answer. I know how to use the Alpha channel in Paintshop Pro in order to get on/off type transparency. Getting my images the shape I want is easy using this method. That's not what i'm looking for.

What I need is for someone with PSP experience, to explain step-by-step, the steps that are required to create partial transparencies for the graphics the EQUI will use. The best example i've seen is the Thangor dragon spellbook. The dragon's wings are partially see-through. Just like if you held up a thin piece of cloth and held your hand behind it, you'd be able to see your hand through the material. Versus it completely blocking your hand, or showing only your hand.

I've seen a rough tutorial on doing this using layers, but it was drastically incomplete. I have failed about 20 attempts, with varying degrees of crappy results. I need to know the steps from the Blank image to the save-as option. Even if it's just a simple circle with nothing fancy in it. I can expand the process to a more complex image, once I have the procedure down. I've been trying to finish a mod now for 3 months, but this final step is holding me up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rolleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:59 PM   #2
sc2kmayor
An_Arcane_Lurker

Server: Mithaniel Marr <The Mages of The Mist>
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Old 01-20-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
aviendha101
A Tundra Mammoth

Default Aha!

Well, you see this has nothing to do with the graphic file itself, or what you do is PSP... this has to do with the XML code.

For example, take the window_pieces01.tga file. You will find your main gauge bars in that file. If you load them in PSP and open the alpha channel, you'll find that the bars are each "solid" according to the alpha layout.

However, when you are in game, you will find that the color from the gauge "bleeds" through in shades of whatever color you choose...

So it depends on the item you are drawing in the game.

Also, there is an option you can include in your individual pieces that is <transparent>true/false>/transparent>

Hope this helps!
Old 01-21-2003, 01:07 AM   #4
lunakin
A Shissar Defiler

I just figured this out. At least, I figured out how to do the partial trans effect I wanted to, and I hope what I learned will help you as well. In PSP, to boot!

I'm a big fan of the TTgems, I really like the transparent overlay on the 'highlight' part of the gem. Whenever I made the overlay to match gems I made, it always ended up having no trans at all and looking really crappy. After analyzing the .tgas and the in game screenies, I noticed how when I was loading up the alpha channel, and it showed the greyscale image of it, The part of the graphic where the holder was would be grey, whereas the gems themselves where white and the transparent areas were black. Then it clicked, the greyed ammount was the ammount of transperancy. Then I had to figure out how to actually get into the mask and alter that greyness. Nights, then days, then weeks went by Here's the easist way I could find.

Start with an alpha channel that matches the graphic you want. Mask > Load from Alpha

then : Mask > Edit

Your palate should flip to greyscale at this point, at least mine did

Now, select the part of the image you want to make transparent, I just box selected around the bit I was working with.

Then: Colors > Brightness/Contrast

I left contrast alone and dropped brightness to neg 50 to start, then fiddled with it more to get the trans right for different images, didn't try messing with other options, but i'm guessing you can edit the alpha channel this way with any of the regular paint tools (brush, bucket, line).

Once you have what you think is the right trans level,

Mask > Save to Alpha

I always delete the previous mask in the image, as only one is saved in a .tga.

Finally

File > Save.

Now, if your .xml is tight, you should have a see thru area in your graphic.

Lookin at the alpha channel views of the Thangor's dragon book graphics reveals the same 'greyness' in the areas of the wings that are partially transparent.

I had been leaving this alone for a couple of weeks, when I saw your post, along with sc2kmayor's handy link, and it drove me to try to get this again, so, thanks for the nudge! I'm sorry the post isn't very cohesive, but I hope it gets you on the right track. I still need to mess with it more to get a better grip on it, like the link said, understanding these alpha channels isnt a big 'AHA' but a gradual realization of the possibilites.

Lunakin
lunakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:54 AM   #5
sc2kmayor
An_Arcane_Lurker

Server: Mithaniel Marr <The Mages of The Mist>

Wow, what a great synopsis of the article in the link. I think I actually understand more because of your summary than I ever got out of the article I referenced

Now If I could just make graphics of the caliber that T.King does....oops.. You have increased your skill in envy (56). You have decreased your skill in graphics (-30)....

at least I can psuedocode heheh.
sc2kmayor is offline   Reply With Quote