User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 05:10 PM   #1
Pure
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Torvonnilous
Thumbs up Rant and Rave about EQW

I keep seeing information about EQW being a reason to be banned by GM's.

WHY?

I have been on several forums and to this day have NOT heard a legit reason to BAN anyone's account just because they use EQW.

I have seen several OTHER programs that could cause problems in EQ like macros and that sort.

I play several OTHER games you can hit cntrl enter to lower window and do as you need and come back when needed. I do so many things on my computer that I - CANNOT - do without this EQW program. I have not and will not use the EQW program to do anything to so CALLED ALTER EQ in ANY way (If any Verant people read this or GM's)
This is totally erroneous to just all out be banned for simply lowering your gaming window. FTLOG! You must me joking.

If I ever get banned from using this program they have lost a LONG time potential CUSTOMER and I have even thought about adding another account for my wife, and if long enough maybe an account or two more for my kids
But that ok companies dont need money Sure they dont

I am SO against this action that if a GM wants - Contact me and I will be glad to tell you what I think!

>>OK RANT MODE OFF - Just had to vent my mind << No more of this from me, back to helping in forums, hehe

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:16 PM   #2
UniDyne
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: Veeshan

You know what irks me? Without this feature, anything that pops up in the background kills EQ. Yep. Ever had Norton Antivirus decide to scan while you were playing?

EQW does provide a very necessary and valuable service. EQ is protected against someone messing with the data while they are playing anyway. I could just as easily use my firewall to sniff packets out, change them, and send the modified packets along. I could also run programs on my machine from another machine and mess with EQ.

However, EQ was built to detect such tinkering. If tinkering is detected, why make attempts to further prevent it by locking the user into the program and out of the rest of the machine?

In my opinion, people should use EQW. It is invaluable. Just don't tell the GMs!
UniDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:16 AM   #3
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

To be honest, I know poeple that have bought 2nd and 3rd accounts cause of EQW.

VI's gaining money from this, not loosing. Maybe they'll soon add a windowed feature to EQ?

Dunno ..
http://www.chronology-guild.org/
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 04:48 AM   #4
Mafoo
A Shissar Disciple

I have heard it said multiple times by sony and VT that Everquest will never be allowed to be run in a window
I can understand some of the reasons for this but i also hate it.
My main problem is that if my server monitor software (that i need to run) gives me a alert i will LD out to desktop on EQ, without the use of EQW i would be fairly stuffed as i would not be able to play the nice amount of hours i get to play at the moment.

I can understand there reasonings, think about this the average joe blogs user doesn't know about eqw there fore they are not tempted to try any macro and/or hack programs. Now you let it run in a window and Mr Average Joe Bloggs will be more tempted to run one of thease programs?

As it works i think VT should not condone nore promote EQW and certainly not ban, i know it is a 3rd party program but technically so are your Video Drivers, Technically you are useing EQW as a Video driver (as it intercepts Directx controls). Someone whom has bothered to go out and find the software is probablly only useing it to load up webpages such as alikzam's and eqatlas. No matter what steps you ever take there will always be people whom will hack and explooit, human nature means this will happen you cannot stop the 'l33t h4cks0rs' they will do what they can to break it, because they find it fun. Instead leave eqw alone to work as it is now and let thoose whom choose to use it to be bound by honerable agreement to not exploit the game.

Something ese that needs to be mentioned about eqw is the ability it give skin designers to easily tweak there skins only useing 1 PC, as you can tweak your skin then reload it without haveing to relod the entire of eq.

Here ends my rambling and i hope someone from VT or SOE reads this considers what i have written and doesn't ban me i only use eqw to stop my normal programs causeing me to go LD and possibly die. I think overall eqw promotes good things and no matter what you do there will be bad eggs (look at Sullen-Zek at least they are all caged up on one server)
Mafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 06:39 PM   #5
Cordanim
A Hill Giant

Server: Aradune

I've heard it said that having the ability to "window out" of EQ makes it easier for hackers to modify things...

I'm no programmer, but it makes sense...if I'm locked out of Windows, it's definitely harder to tinker with files...

I'm spoiled though, I have my main system, a notebook for running my Cleric, and another notebook to surf around on while playing - if needed

<--- Hehe, damn I love this banana!
Thugrog Grimm
65th Ogre Shaman
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 01:27 AM   #6
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Quote:
I've heard it said that having the ability to "window out" of EQ makes it easier for hackers to modify things...

To bad every hacker and their sister knows about it.

No matter, half that stuff's already cought. And what is known is kept a deep deep seceret. There's no issues with VI allowing Windowing.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:21 AM   #7
Mafoo
A Shissar Disciple

I will not disclose whom, as it is not fair
But a number of GM's on multiple servers do run this App as it allows them to look up other information without haveing to use another PC
Old 08-22-2002, 03:48 AM   #8
HalfShadow
A Ghoul

Go ahead and disclose. That'll teach 'em not to be two-faced. 'Oh, EQW is as illegal as hell, but it's okay if we use it, since we're GM's/guides and are therefore always right.'

...but I can't be bothered to tell you.
HalfShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:35 AM   #9
Mafoo
A Shissar Disciple

What you find is this
GM/guides won't actively look for people useing it but it is there duty to take action if they are told someone is useing it, mainly people get banned whom are useing it because they are useing another program in conjuntion i.e. a macro program or a packet sniffer
*Shrug* i admit i use it because it helps me test the UI mods better i use it at no other time because i can pull up what i want on another PC (being that a web browser to look up 'spoiler' info)
Old 08-23-2002, 05:13 AM   #10
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Sorry yall .. Get your final reads in. I think it's starting to go into a wrong direction here.

I've requested to have this thread locked/deleted.
Closed Thread