User Name
Password

Old 08-03-2002, 12:38 AM   #1
Nennayan
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Brell Serilis
Send a message via ICQ to Nennayan Send a message via AIM to Nennayan
Default Click Beetles

I live in the south, and around this time of year there are always a lot of click beetles. If you don't know what a click beetle is, it's a small black beetle, about an inch long, with pathetically short legs.

The click beetle has a unique way of flipping itself over when it gets stuck on it's back, which happens a lot. It bends it's neck backwards, then quickly forwards again, causing it's thorax plate to hit the ground and launch it into the air with an audible click. It's kinda fun to catch a lot of them and place them in plastic cups to amplify the sound.

Anyway, these things like to come in my house at night, and then start clicking on the tile floors, and it's driving me nuts because I keep thinking it's the sound of someone's ankles popping as they sneak around behind me. My younger brother is almost 21 but he still likes to scare me, so I'm paranoid. Hehehe

They also waste a lot of my time since I'm too nice to kill them. I catch them all and throw them outside. I was just wondering if anyone else out there is having problems with insects, seeing as how it's bug season and all.

Don't even get me started on mosquitos.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:45 AM   #2
psychogears
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Xev
Send a message via ICQ to psychogears Send a message via AIM to psychogears Send a message via Yahoo to psychogears

DEET. I hear there's some kind of plague in the Southern states, Nile West. It's spread by Mosquitos. It infects birds and horses as well. If you see a bunch of dead birds in an area that's a sign that West Nile disease is probably being spread there by Mosquitos, so always wear your DEET mosquito repellant.

-TJ

of Xev
psychogears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 03:07 PM   #3
Icithor
A Ghoul

Server: Ayonae Ro
Default LOL!

That would be awesome to see. I wish we had click beetles here in Michigan. All we have are mosquitos (100% DET repellent is GODLY). One thing did creep me out once though. I was at the beach and I felt something on my arm. I looked over and thought I was going crazy! There was an emerald scarab on my arm! Just shows I play EQ too much
Icithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
Bastis
A Fire Beetle

Dude! If I heard that clicking on the tile indoors all the time, I'd wish it was a human being! I could hardly focus in EQ two days ago, cause there was a spider on the wall! And last week, I found some other creepy bug on the wall when I was going to bed, then I went to get some paper to KILL it, but when I got back it was GONE!! I totally freaked out!
Bastis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 01:44 AM   #5
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Default hehe...

I think my favorite was a few years back when we were living in a friend's as-yet unfinished house in the middle of nowhere. In my bedroom off the deck, I was practically living outside... one night, I was almost asleep when a grasshopper wrapped itself around the bottom of my extremely sensitive big toe. Needless to say I was wide awake for quite awhile trying to calm my totally shot nerves so I could sleep. (In case you're curious, I didn't kill him - just threw him outside. lol)

~Lady Silver
Lady Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 03:38 AM   #6
Nennayan
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Brell Serilis
Send a message via ICQ to Nennayan Send a message via AIM to Nennayan

Grasshoppers bite, and it hurts when they do. I would have freaked too. I'm not scared of bugs, I'm just scared of being bitten by the ones that hurt.
Nennayan is offline   Reply With Quote