Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Site news/help Forums > Eqinterface/Eqgui News
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2003, 09:07 PM   #16
Rhisk
A Bat

Server: E'ci
Default This virus

Only hits 2000 and XP machines, but the exploit that it uses is also in NT and 2003. Any of those machines needs to run the patch and make sure your virus definitions are up to date.

Rhisk
Rhisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:13 PM   #17
Teddyboy420
A Snow Cougar

Server: Firiona Vie

The only version of Windows NT supposedly not having this problem is me.

As for the Windows Update site, it is touchy to begin with. So if you are having a problem with it you should check out the help section on the site. Like Zantaklawz said, there is a lot of traffic to the site lately, so your problem may not really be your problem at all.

I was having a problem that when the Update site performed the scan to see what updated files were available for my computer, it would go from 0 to 100% in a second and say no updates available. Hehe, I went to the help section and found out that it was just because I didn't have a language set in my Internet Explorer options.
Teddyboy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:48 AM   #18
Madmardeggan
A Wooly Rhino

Server: Bristlebane
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally posted by Teddyboy420
The only version of Windows NT supposedly not having this problem is me.

Could be because ME is not a version of NT at all. As far as DOS attacks go, just cause you can't access MS-Update doesn't mean you are infected. It means two things:

1.) 90% of computer users in the world are trying to access the site.
2.) The infected machines are executing DOS attacks on the server at the same time.

Together MS doesn't stand a chance. Therefore, you just need to let the hype die down and pray you don't get infected. I run Norton Internet Security on all of my machines and none of them have yet been affected. I haven't even bothered trying to get to Windows Update because I knew what it would be like. i focused on getting Norton updated first, seems that has been enough so far.

/knocks on wood
Old 08-14-2003, 01:46 PM   #19
Kuvasie
A Tempest Toad

Server: Luclin
Featured Artist

Quote:
Originally posted by Madmardeggan
... /knocks on wood

No joke. That is the way it feels sometimes when trying to avoid these little bugs. Very annoying.

Kuv
Old 08-14-2003, 10:03 PM   #20
Turlo
Featured Artist

Featured Artist

Worm only affects XP, 2k and NT systems due to a security flaw in them. The only thing you have to do to become infected is be connected to the internet. By default, because of the security flaw, port 135 is open on your system. The patch fixes this security bug.

The way the virus spreads is once on an infected system, it runs an algorythm to calculate other IPs on the portion of the internet. It then does a port scan, and finds computers with the same security flaw. It will then insert itself into that computer, were it continues to do it's work. No user intervention is needed to allow this virus to spread. That is what is so scary about it. (and why it was upgraded to class 4). We were lucky it wasn't more damaging.
Turlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:57 AM   #21
Gdaren
A Snow Cougar

Server: The Tribunal, Test
Send a message via Yahoo to Gdaren

Ok, from one that is behind what I would consider a extreme firewall set up, and still got nailed!! This is one of the more dangerous worms out there, it not only stops windows update from playing nicely but will also stop your anti virus software from phoning home for updates. Highly suggest that you get your updates manually (ie. go directly to the download, not via a software retrieve) and install them yourself. If you use the automated route you will get a security RPC breach (XP) and your system will shut down, before getting the patches...

A quick look ctrl/alt/delete then look in processes, if you see msblast.exe in there you are infected!! It was random for me on shutdowns, I could surf and game for hours without a problem. then if I went to do any kind of update (first noticed trying to update to the new Nvidia drivers), I would get the shutdown.

I am amazed that I got it on my main system that is protected, but the network downstairs that is on adelphia cable, and is practically open to the world did not... Could be that it was targeted at larger more corporate type systems vs the mom & pop systems on cable, dialup, etc...

Good Fortune to those that did not have a problem, and to those like myself that did get it well all ya can do is smile....

Gdaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:17 AM   #22
Tinkfu
___

Server: None

it got in my win2k3 server a few hours ago, but my unix hunting box was able to isolate it and destroy it.. so I guess windows server 2003 is also not safe from the worm
Old 08-15-2003, 12:28 PM   #23
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

I have a fairly wimpy Hardware firewall for my home network and never got it. *shrug* All you need to do is block out the port it exploits.

It also doesnt disable any auto updates. Its just that windowsupdate and anti virus update sites have been getting Doss'd or cant keep up with the traffic.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote