Password

Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #16
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmere
On top of that, I would really like to see the original screen resolution as an option

There was never 1 solid forced resolution for EQ. It simply defaulted to 640x480 and required a change in either the INI or later the options window from the login screen. No amount of talent can give you that resolution in a UI if you do not already have it available. Playing at that resolution would be very very difficult as well, EQ has grown to the point where even 800x600 just doesn't cut it like it used to.

"Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working properly when you open Windows."
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #17
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Quote:
Ill pitch in with 50$ for this as well. I would also like to see the live character doll on the top right corner of the screen with the inventory. This UI would make my day.

The character preview is impossible. Closest you could do is put in a screenshot of your character there now. Have no clue why they removed that from EQ but they don't seem like they'll be implementing it again.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
Eanelder
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillingworth
The character preview is impossible. Closest you could do is put in a screenshot of your character there now. Have no clue why they removed that from EQ but they don't seem like they'll be implementing it again.

Wow... i dont remember that ever being there.

Definately a shame they got ride of that.
Eanelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #19
xtightypantsx
A Ghoul

Hey guys sorry i havent posted in awhile! my offer is still on the table email me at [email protected] if you are interested in taking on this project!
xtightypantsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #20
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eanelder
Wow... i dont remember that ever being there.

Definately a shame they got ride of that.

Yeah it was a very long time ago, before Velious UI system revamps. Showed a 3rd person perspective of your character. At the time with the low resolution EQ used it was sort of required if you required to see what your character looked like with a specific weapon/armor since the inventory covered almost the entire screen. Farther back it was the only way you'd see your own character short of 2boxing or trading a friend accounts, there wasn't a camera system for awhile.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
cadmere
A Gray Wolf

OMG please im not even kidding someone im begging you to put this together in the 640x resolution he has all of the set files.

did i say please??
cadmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:19 AM   #22
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Quote:
OMG please im not even kidding someone im begging you to put this together in the 640x resolution he has all of the set files.

did i say please??

I'll explain this to you.

Roughly 20% of that UI's behaviour is no longer possible, this isn't laziness or lack of talent speaking, it's cold hard fact.

With all of the files that would need to be changed for it to work. It would most likely break every patch that modifies the UI system in the least bit. The amount of upkeep would be fairly large, most UI artist are to busy keeping their own UIs working.

He has yet to state just how much compromise he is willing to endure while still keeping the initial payment as well. So that turns away a lot of folks who would consider attempting this.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #23
lumi
A Fire Beetle

I'll gladly throw in 300$
lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #24
Wymp
A Shissar Disciple

Shillingworth's right. It's just not possible to make the old UI work now like it did back in the day. It simply doesn't function the same way.

With tabbed windows, separate chats, larger banks, hard-coded window elements, etc, etc ... you just can't do it and please the people that want it exactly the same.

The best you could do is make a whole new UI using elements and styles from the old one that is compliant with today's code. It wouldn't be the same, but it could have that nostalgic feel and look.

Personally, I don't miss that old cramped UI one bit. The only thing I do miss is the old hitsmode settings and the way they'd scroll off the screen and fade away, heh. That was very nice, and didn't require a separate chat window for filtering.

Edit -- Here's a link to one that's been made and is still updated, I think, if you wanna see how difficult it is to do, heh ... LINK

Last edited by Wymp : 05-21-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Wymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #25
fenrian1
A Shissar Defiler

Well I am still considering it. I have some ideas to get it functional with alot less compromise than I had thought originaly. I never played with this UI so I have had to kind of piece it together in my head. Most of it I can see how it worked and I think I can at the least get the visible portion fully functional along with the bank and inventory. some stuff like the tradeskill window simply wont backdate I think.

Here is the thing, as already stated 640x480 would be really hard to do. This was even getting a bit stretched on old 15" monitors, and will be awful on 19" monitors that are common now, let alone widescreen format ones. Running it at 1280x1064 would cause scaling issues with the fonts. 1024x768 would probably work for keeping both the original look of the UI being a portal and still have fonts that are the right scale.

I need the full set of image files though before I can consider it any further. So please upload as a zip every thing you have. There is too much degradation of the images posted already for me to "rightclick and save as".
fenrian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #26
Talyns
The Tablets Guy

Server: Lanys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrian1
Well I am still considering it. I have some ideas to get it
I need the full set of image files though before I can consider it any further. So please upload as a zip every thing you have. There is too much degradation of the images posted already for me to "rightclick and save as".

http://www.eqinterface.com/download...nfo.php?id=2200
-Hawkren (20 SHM)
Talyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #27
fenrian1
A Shissar Defiler

Well I have fooled with it a bit and here is what I am comingup with.

My initial idea was to dedicate 3 hotbars to being the buttons to operate the other features in the UI. Doing this will give a working "spells" button, but as near as I can tell, there is no command that will work form a social to open the socials or abilities windows. Even remaping the commmands does not work.

I had also settled on 1024x768 as the best compromise, on a 19" monitor, this yeilds a large enough veiw to play and still gives it the old UI feel. The propblem I have run into here is font scaling. The size 5 font is simply too small and seems lost. I will have to go down atleast 1 notch in res to get better font scaling, but it may be that it will only scale right in 640x480 which s simply too small. I tried playing as an experiment at that res and it was like playing tombraider 1 all over again, even the colors get really drab at that res.

I am putting this aside for the time being, but I may go back to it again at some point.
fenrian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:36 AM   #28
Muscular Beaver
A Treant

Huh? Theres already such an UI.
Look at this thread.
http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/s...1&page=11&pp=15
Muscular Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote