Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Site news/help Forums > Eqinterface/Eqgui News
User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #16
ElemLap
A Bat

Server: Xev

I have exact same Mag Inovision 19" Monitor and it had same visual problems developed in 6 month since it was purchased at Best Buy.
My friend bought same monitor at Best Buy almost at the same time and his monitor went bad in similar way.

We both got our monitors repaired under 1 Year Warranty policy and luckily we both kept Monitor shipping boxes so there was no problem with repair.

This whole precident just proves Best Buy was selling unconditioned Monitors under the policy "You get what you paid for".

Also, this defect was well known to the RMA department I was dealing with. Whatever they have done to fix it was done quick enough and monitor works much better now then before and somehow I am sure it is not going to break with the same symptoms, ever.
ElemLap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:23 AM   #17
futurem0nkey
A Gray Wolf

Just thought I'd post a happy-ending story =)

Once upon a time, although I didn't know it at the time, I had a flakey video card that suddenly started causing the display to flicker (imagine turning the monitor off and on rapidly). For some mysterious reason, it only did this with my 19" NEC and not with my old crappy 15" KDT, even though they were both running the same resolution and refresh rate, so I assumed it must be the monitor. The exchange period from CompUSA had long since expired, so I called NEC directly and they shipped me a new monitor. It worked fine for about 2 days, then the same problem started again.

Unfortunately, I was too stupid to realize that the source of my troubles was the vid card. After all, the 15" monitor worked flawlessly. I called NEC again, and to make a long story short they sent me ANOTHER monitor, which was not only NEW (as opposed to the refurbished ones that most manufacturers send as warranty replacements) but it was also an upgraded model. They also sent me a UPS label so that I didn't have to pay to ship back the first one they sent. Well naturally it had the same problem, but by now the rusty gears in my head had turned a little and I decided to replace my video card. Problem solved.

The bottom line is that NEC handled my problem BETTER than they should have, especially considering that the problem was 100% my fault and not the fault of their product. I felt like a total idiot after I figured out what was going wrong, but the way NEC handled it earned my loyalty. I would not hestitate to buy another NEC monitor in the future(or Mitsubishi, since they are the same company).

And no, I don't work for them or sell them or anything like that. =P
futurem0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 11:13 AM   #18
Mithral7
A Bat

Default Re: Heads up on Product

Quote:
Originally posted by Kudane
Request
If anyone works in the Computer Hardware Field and could offer any sort of help with Monitor, be it repairs, deals on a new one, or anything of that sort Please send me PM. I am stuck in a real delima.
- Kudane [/B]

Hello fellow Vah Shir Bard. I'm a noob to EQ. Working on a Bard and Paladin.... anyway... regarding used computer stuff....

Contact the purchasing office, or property redistribution office, at our local college or university. Many times used computer parts are sold to the public at minimal cost. Usually sold as-is, but I have purchase several nice monitors this way. For example, I can get a nice used 17" Sony CRT for about $50. Just depends on availability and could be a wide range of manufacturers. I don't know about prices or availability in your area.

- M7

Advise based on experience:

Extended Warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. (Read the fine print, and Kudane says... indeed.)

Don't buy computer hardware stuff like this from Best Buy or Circuit City... or other similiar "discount" computer "chain" stores. You will never get the best deal. I buy all my stuff from a local private computer builder/service buisiness (that I trust... based on experience). They know all the cheapest ways, and know which non-industry standard brands are just as good as the main brands sold at Best Buy. They are usually 25% to 50% cheaper that Best Buy.

Example: My G-Force 4 (440?) video card with 128Meg DDR cost me about $80 while the Best Buy versions where selling for $180+.

"Buyer Beware!"