Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Fyrecaster
A Hill Giant

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default YAY !!! Going back to school (DeVry)

Last year during the month of June I went in for a corrective and neccessary operation, resultant from an auto accident back in August '05. Had to have 2 disc removed and replaced with bone inserts grafted from my hip. Anyways during the 4 month downtime I had to take from June to Oct before I could go back to work on light duty, I picked up an itch to start modding. I first started with modifying target rings, and eventually modified Lodidodis, I dont recal posting my modification seperately from the original player window, something I will be doing shortly.

After that I downloaded a program called MoreMotion XML Editor2 which can be found at the link provided. It took me the better course of my recovery time to get the slightest basic idea, not understanding, but faint glimmer of knowledge at what I was looking at when I was looking at the coding for the programs. For a couple of months I struggled with it daily, giving myself migraines in the process. Once I finally started understanding it, I began slowly by altering codes to see what happened. My real knowledge came when I volunteered to try a player window that Inokis designed, and it was a good window, and was also the starting platform for my Fyrecasters Players Window series. I had been in replies with Inokis telling him the changes Id like to see. When I found I was having trouble I sent him a screenshot of the changes I was trying to make, but never got a reply and this forced me to step up. Well several revisions later I have a solid graps of what I am doing, but I am still not a pro by any means yet.

How does all this tie into me going back to school, one may be lead to ask. Well I was watching TV late one night and for the umteenth million time saw the DeVry commercial, about becoming a video game programmer. My wife said I had been doing ok with the work I was doing on the player windows and challenged me to give it an attempt. Well so here I am proud to say I just passed my entry exams yesterday, and once the financial aid and all other factors are in line, I will be attending college, learning to do something I have already come to love. So if my work seems to become sporadic at times it may be that I am crunching, its a 4 year Bachelors degree condensed into 2 & 1/2 years of work. Anyways thanks for all those who have downloaded my player windows and helped boost this novices courage to the point to want to turn this into a profession.

Fyrecaster
[email protected]
Fyrecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
fenrian1
A Shissar Defiler

How very cool.

I also injured my back a while back and it forced me out of a carrer as a Eurocar tech. Mine was not as extreme as yours but they where still talking surgery and pain management before I gave up on the doctors.

After spending several years trying to get a new career going with very little success, I am also going back to school this summer, only for business management instead.

Good luck with school and the new career.
fenrian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Fyrecaster
A Hill Giant

Thanks Fen, I wont lie, at first when the whole surgery was being planned I wasnt afraid or anything but as it became closer for the time for me to go under the knife, I almost backed out. Glad I stuck it through though cause before I had the surgery I was garaunteed that without it I would have been eventually developed nerve paralysis on the left upper quadrant of my body which could have eventually spread into my left leg. So got one of the leading surgeons in the field and went through with it. As far as school I also wish you luck, and will keep an eye out for further mods from ya.
Fyrecaster is offline   Reply With Quote