Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2002, 02:20 PM   #1
kaherashadowwol
A Snow Griffin

Server: bertox
Default "are people addicted to everquest"

I seen this the other day on castersrealm and so i don't forget i'll make sure i share with everyone else in case they have not seen it. This Friday, October 18th CBS 48 hours is doing a story about us players i guess, wasn't to much info. Just an FYI, feel free to have your say

"mischievous child" My personality response from mutedfaith.com
Yeah, yeah, I don't buy the cute and innocent look. You're a curious creature by nature, and your curiosity often gets you into trouble. Although you might look like a perfect, angelic eight-yeah-old, inside lies the heart of a 200year old dragon. Or something equally disturbing, Either way, I don't trust you.
Kahera Shadowwolf (soon to be)
42nd wintered season (44th)
Shaman of Bertox
kaherashadowwol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 02:37 PM   #2
kaherashadowwol
A Snow Griffin

Default time

forgot to put it in the time is 8pm est once again on CBS
Old 10-15-2002, 02:53 PM   #3
Kyle Colussi
A Gray Wolf

Server: Xev
Angry DON'T KILL YOURSELFS

I have seen on the news and have done reports on people killing themselfs over Everquest. I have seen people say that Sony/Everquest is putting somthing in the game to make it "addicting". I will take a guess and say that addicting part of the game is FUN.

Fun as to kill things, lots of money, make fun of people, have a girl char. when your a guy and mess with other guys. Its just fun. My point is o wait I forgot my point. nm I think the show will be about the addicting part of the game.
Attached Images
File Type: gif wolf2.gif (5.3 KB, 161 views)
Kyle Colussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:00 PM   #4
kaherashadowwol
A Snow Griffin

Default agree

I"m sure it has nothing to do with the actual fun, we the eq players have. I've heard nothing bout people killing themselves over a game but i'm not gonna sit here and say its not going to happen or that is hasn't. Yes I do feel eq is a very addictive game.. its a very time based game. You can turn the switch on and defeat your opponent in less then 1 hour i/e x-box games. IMO they should do a full addiction to all games. The game Halo on x-box actually had me away from eq for almost 1 month then couldn't advance any further. GOt off subject, anyways i gotta agree that eq is addictive d/t fun for the same examples as mentioned above. You kill dragons which mind you i've only done once but was still a blast and soon we'll be raiding gods homes and burning them what are they the reporters trying to say that we'll go around burning churches/ temples? TO me eq is a fun addictive game.

/edit this was suppose to go with my response to is eq an addictive game
Old 10-15-2002, 03:16 PM   #5
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

There was in Feb-March a story going around about "shawn wooley" who among other things was an EQ-addict.. (he had some other problems as well) who killed himself.

It is believed that something traumatic happened in EQ that sent him over the edge and he shot himself on the friday after thanksgiving in 2001..

if you do some digging you can find the whole story..and I am sure it will get mentioned friday

if you search some of the EQ forums you will find the story..

BTW 48 hours comes on at 8 or 9 pm based on your time zone.. for PST it will be 9pm local.

Kudane
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:22 PM   #6
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

To bad its on CBS. I hate CBS.... but thats only becuase I work for NBC.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:29 PM   #7
kaherashadowwol
A Snow Griffin

Default thanks for the fix

thanks for correcting my post i put i clicked the wrong button. And thanks for the info was unaware bout any of that info you all provided and i thought i put 9pm est but thanks for the correction once again
Old 10-15-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

TV shows are time zone specific... just put "48 hours on friday" and let people look up the times ROFL

Kudane
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:36 PM   #9
Curumtiny
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Tarew Marr

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolby
To bad its on CBS. I hate CBS.... but thats only becuase I work for NBC.

CBS = COMMUNIST BROADCASTING STATION?

Curumtiny Call Me Yoda
Gnome Warrior (GnomeLord) Level 65
Tarrew Marr
Guild Officer: Invictus Verite
Click on Signiture for Magelo Profile
Curumtiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:44 PM   #10
kaherashadowwol
A Snow Griffin

Thumbs down cbs =

I'd have to agree with ya they are putting out a bad show most likely with the tag addiction about a game we enjoy playing. I'm gonna have to tape it to see what they say since no matter what time zone i'm in i'll still be at work and a friday is not a day i can play sick
Old 10-15-2002, 04:18 PM   #11
Eldritch_goth
A Gray Wolf

Server: vazaelle
Send a message via Yahoo to Eldritch_goth
Talking But We're still evil too....

Okay...here's the deal... this is the same garbage that people have been saying about Dungeons & Dragons for years, only now these freaked out parents are blaming EQ, Half-Life, Pokemon, and Harry Potter for their kids' "unusual" behavior.
Now I'm not saying that EQ is not addictive (cause it sure is, bugger all) but anybody that is gonna kill themselves and/or others because of a bloody game or because of KISS or AC/DC or because they read a book about a little boy that can do magic were probably a little off their rocker in the first place, and may have ended up doing the same thing if they played tiddleywinks and listened to Pat Boone and Rosemary Clooney.
I'm sorry but i get tired of this sort of thing bouncing into the media spotlight every so often. It is really unfortunate that some people feel the need to demonize anything they don't understand, becuase it may cause some people that would really enjoy this game to turn away because they are affraid of some CBS new report. It really is a shame.
Sorry about the rant. Its just something i feel strongly about ever since the crap i had to go through after the demonization of the goth scene after Columbine. Tragic events may happen, but I get sick of ppl trying to use stuff like this as an excuse instead of looking for some real answers.
32 Enchanter
Vazaelle
Eldritch_goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:23 PM   #12
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda

First off, I agree, NBC is much better. NBC has The West Wing, and Scrubs, and other stuff..CBS has..umh. I don't know. But they do have this show, so I guess I can accredit them with one watch.

I believe 48 Hours is usually fairly good about representing both views, so hopefully they'll not be idiots and take the side of the woman, who in my opinion is wrong in her accusations. I believe she tried to file suit, or something? I'm certainly very disturbed and saddened that her son was driven to kill himself, just as i'm sure the folks at Sony are. However, I feel that there are no grounds to sue.

For the man--and he was an adult, he wasn't just some highschooler--to have gone so far as to lose his mind to this game, so that he could not live with himself because something happened in the game; there had to be something else very wrong there. I feel his mother let it go way to far, even if he was "out of her control", and he also must have had some kind of psychological depression or imbalance that would make him lose touch with reality like that. It could happen to anyone, i suppose; However, it happened to him.

So, is EverQuest addictive? Yes. There's no question; it's a fun game that is built in such a way that it's hard to put down. To many players, the answer is "Well, Duh." But can it be *blamed* for that? No. In my opinion, the judge should not even take the case, because it wouldn't be a fair trial; Either the jury (or other deciding members, i'm not familiar with civil suit law) would be made up of people biased against "these newfangled computer gadgets" or young people who wouldn't listen to anything the mother said. But, being a free country that can grand a woman 5 million dollars because she was too stupid to know that coffee is *hot*, I'd wager that it will be taken, if it hasn't been already. I guess i'll have to watch the show to find out; I haven't been following the suit.

In my opinion, Verant's done all they can be expected to do, and should do. They expressed their condolances publically, and they've expressed that they aren't responcible for others' poor time management, and I've heard that there is currently a timer window on test that will alert people when they should get off, if they want to try to limit themselves. They can't raise people's children. They can't be expected to stop trying to make money "honestly" because some people can't stop playing their game. I really do feel sorry for the late son's family, but I don't feel that if it's anyone's fault, it is his own. It's unfair to try to make the grief process easier by sticking the blame on a party that doesn't deserve it. Those are my thoughts. Take them or leave them, or flame them, but please do it politely ^.^
Fennin Ro"The Forgotten Server"
Go Kicky Fast Okay!
Casanunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:32 PM   #13
kaherashadowwol
A Snow Griffin

Default i found the story

went to look for myself to find the entire story bout the person whom killed themself, heres the site

http://www.planeteq.com/features/editorials/stryker

This is just for the clueless as i was that someone had supposobly commited suicide over eq. I do send condolences to the family for such a loss.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:43 PM   #14
Thangor
A Snow Cougar

Server: Saryrn
Default The "American" way

Honestly what it comes down to is that people are always looking for someone else to blame for things. Take this mother for an example... she doesn't want to blame her son, so she tries to place blame on someone else.

These days kids are padded up and armored to the core just to ride their bike. When I was a kid, kids were kids... they get hurt, they fall down... all kinds of things happened. However, it wasn't sensationalized by the media like it is today. Kids are a LOT more resiliant then people give them credit for.

As for all this media stuff... well... to be honest, I don't really care much for any of the major broadcasting companies. Seems like most the time they're trying to make a big deal out of nothing in the pursuit of the evergreen dollar. It gets old pretty fast. Why don't they try talking about good news sometime. 99% of news shows should be called "More Bad News"... Hell... part of the reason I enjoy playing EQ so much is that it's more fun then watching TV most the time (Except "Iron Chef"... because that show rocks... and "Junkyard Wars" heheh)... but I think my point is made... this sort of thing is just dumb.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:46 PM   #15
Kweil
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Rodcet Nife

Here is a link to the page about Friday's show.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998...main22761.shtml

Not a lot of info but it looks like they may touch more on the addiction side of the house.