Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Request
User Name
Password

Old 07-27-2002, 08:48 AM   #1
Deedo De`Vir
A Fire Beetle

Send a message via ICQ to Deedo De`Vir Send a message via AIM to Deedo De`Vir
Default mana bar from groupmembers

im using the advance trageting mod atm...with this precent stuff etc...what i would like to add on it would be a manabar from the groupmembers that are in your group.
ís there anything possible or planned like this atm?
Deedo De`Vir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
buzweaver
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Bertoxxulous
Send a message via AIM to buzweaver

That would be a God Send, but then you’d still have to debate with the Melees about or other members over how much mana you are comfortable with, LOL.

Just as long as passer by n00Bs "s0w Plz"/"bUfs p1Z" people can't see you have Mana, LOL!!!!!

Retired
BuzzFelinous (26 Bard)
BuzzVar(40 Shaman)
BuzzSilverThor (68 Storm Warder )
buzweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:30 AM   #3
Sparr
A Ghoul

Default hehehe

my new reply to "please [spell] me" is "sorry, im working on a new spellbook window and I cant memorize spells until its done"
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:45 AM   #4
Amaprotu
A Snow Cougar

Send a message via ICQ to Amaprotu

NO!

There is currently no way to do this.

Mana numbers for other people is never sent to your computer (as opposed to anythings HP which was available to the player prior to the new UI). This means two things:

Adding this would take a change to the EQ client and server, and likely not a small change. This means it would take time, development power, and likely introduce bugs

It would be sending alot more data to a lot more people which would cause more lag for the bandwith impaired at the least.

Every thread I have seen that pops up about this results in about 80 - 90% dissertations about why not (like this) and 10 - 20 % "It would be cool!" and "I can't believe people lie about their mana!" posts. This leads me to believe that the vocal majority don't want it.

My mana percentage only really has, and should have, meaning to me. I know how much int I have, how many mana items. I know how much of a bar my Mez takes, how much I need to spare.

I have said this before but this is the real summary of why I absolutly do not want others to see my mana:

My definition of a good enchanter is one that can keep the group alive. My ability to be a good enchanter stems directly from my control in the group. My control of the group comes from being able to say how much mana I have. I can slow the group down if its going too fast (deflate my mana) or speed it up if it is going too slow (inflate my mana). The enchanter class is the hardest to play. It takes many levels, and lots of experience to be able to effectively control a situation that would otherwise be disaster. I absolutly do not want some warrior telling me how to play my class because he knows how much mana I have, or for him to decide that 10 or 20 mana is enough for another pull, when I have been saving that because he is already pulling too much.
Amaprotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:48 AM   #5
Sparr
A Ghoul

if you have to lie to your group then youre joining the wrong groups (and the groups are picking the wrong enchanter). its people like you who are why I solo.
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 11:06 AM   #6
Amaprotu
A Snow Cougar

Send a message via ICQ to Amaprotu

I am failry sure more people lie than you think.

Anyways, a more accurate description of how I play is that I don't give mana percent numbers. I am either LOM, OOM, FM, Good for a couple more pulls etc. My real point is that I am the only one who can judge from my mana and the pace of the group and my playing abilities (if I'm having an off day I may need to stock pile more mana), which of the above is true. Warrior_01, and even Enchanter_02, doesn't know how many Mez's I can get out of 10% mana.

I already get people that try to play my class, tell me what to mez, what to slow, what to tash, and when and how to do it all. Some even tell me when to stand up and sit down! If my mana is visible to others then I will get this from every person I group with. That is not my idea of fun.
Amaprotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 06:02 AM   #7
Nennayan
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Brell Serilis
Send a message via ICQ to Nennayan Send a message via AIM to Nennayan

I gotta agree on the mana thing. There are lots of reasons why other people shouldn't be able to see your mana.

People who try to tell me how to play are the reason I solo. I can take some constructive criticism if I fudge up, but I refuse to take instructions on every single thing I do. I've been playing since october 10, 1999, and I've made every effort to be as good and knowledgable[sp?] a player as I can. If the other guy thinks he knows more about pulling/healing/tanking/nuking than me, and he feels it's necessary to instruct me when I haven't done anything to indicate that I NEED instruction, then I tell him to log on his alt and do it himself or leave me the hell alone.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:04 AM   #8
buzweaver
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Bertoxxulous
Send a message via AIM to buzweaver

Well, lying by psychology’s definition is to avoid pain or punishment. Pain or punishment being ridicule, embarrassment, criticism etc.. I think people lie about Mana more so because of laziness or their comfort level.

Its always been suggested on the Druid Boards to never go below 20% (for emergency heals or evac), now everyone’s comfort level of mana to spell ratio is different depending on your situation. I will report my mana status but I also have no problem telling a Hyper Super None Stop puller I need to med up.
buzweaver is offline   Reply With Quote