Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 AM   #1
ccs_88
A Gray Wolf

Arrow Any Suggestions?

Hey there.

I'm making a UI for P99 and I'm trying to hide the [Admin] button on the server select screen. The issue is, the button's code is server-side and you can't move it. The only reason it's there is because your client will show server population numbers if it's tricked into thinking that you're a loginserver admin, so the emu login server always tells the client you're a loginserver admin.

For some reason, the button's formatting is tied to the [LOGOUT] button, so by editing "SERVERSELECT_ExitButton" in "EQLSUI_ServerSelectWnd.xml", you're really editing both the admin button AND the logout button. This becomes pointless though, because you need the logout button, and if you make it pretty, the Admin button will also be pretty, which is opposite of what I want to achieve - to hide it.

So. Is there something that I can place OVER the button to just hide it from view? I tried putting another button in the same place, but it just goes behind.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
ccs_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Sylphan
A Predatory Creeper

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default tricky tricks

There are lots of ways to fudge things. But they're not very 'clean' and are one-off solutions.

My first idea is to make the button (or rather, both buttons) totally transparent, possibly through a buttondraw template that uses different graphics. Then, in the place where you actually want the logout button to appear use some background graphics, or just an overlapping control behind the button that 'looks like' a button. If you replace all graphics in the buttondrawtemplate with transparent you will lose the nifty effect of the logout button appearing to 'depress' as it's clicked on, but it'll still function. But if you can get away with replacing only the Normal graphics, and leave the Pressed and Disabled graphics visible, it will still look right.

My second idea is to set RelativePosition to FALSE on that button. It might be possible to make it draw somewhere else (either the lower right of the screen, or perhaps at some negative coordinates) where it isn't actually seen. But... that's probably what it's already doing to itself behind the scenes, so might have no effect.

Third idea is to set that button to negative coordinates (such as -200,-200). Possibly directly, but you could also try doing it with autostretch. Then, in order to get the logout button to appear in the right place, you would create a small layout window to 'hold' the logout button, positioned exactly 200 left and 200 down from where you want the logout button to actually appear.

Fourth idea is to mess with the OverlapLeft and OverlapTop settings in the WindowDrawTemplate. Something around positive 100 or 200 should be enough, but you could even experiment with negative numbers. You can use these to get controls to appear outside of their own window's borders, and thus maybe trick the admin button into shifting itself off-screen. I used to use this to cover up items that we aren't allowed to remove, such as title bars on chat windows. You'd probably have to adjust locations of everything in the window with the logout button in a funky way to compensate, but it should be possible.
Sylphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
ccs_88
A Gray Wolf

Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately editing the logout button's location or anything to do with it's position has no effect on the Admin button. It only takes on the appearance.

I think I understand your first suggestion (the only one I see working-ish), although I'm not sure how to make text transparent. My understanding: Nobody would see the Admin button unless they unintentionally hovered over that spot. One issue that remains is that when you click "Play", all the buttons on that screen switch to the "pressed" state while the game loads, and you'd see the Admin button then, too, unless you made the pressed version transparent as well.
ccs_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Halelen
Lord Doljonijiarnimorinar

Server: Povar
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

So. Is there something that I can place OVER the button to just hide it from view? I tried putting another button in the same place, but it just goes behind.

Any suggestions? Thanks![/QUOTE]
FYI change the order they are listed...as it reads down the list it places objects so if you want something hidden behind another you must move it down after the first one at that location
Halelen is offline   Reply With Quote