Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
Taleisin

Default the Journey ( Direct9 )

after much tweaking and many failures ( and finding someone who knew what they were doing ) we got Direct9 working on one of my debian machines.. and well here is a full window screenshot of EQ running without a emulator for windows.

though there were a few complications after entering the forgotten halls it ran wonderful, I can't be sure but I think the video lagg was less than running straight windows.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
Crackmaster
A Snow Griffin

Server: Tarew Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to Crackmaster
Exclamation Wow!

Wow that is very awesome! I've been lurking in the shadows of this site for a while but man; that is amazing. I've stuck with windows just because I can't play my games on linux, but after seeing this, I might make the full switch!
Crackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Garryck
A Shissar Disciple

Welcome to the club!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eq-linux-ss1.jpg (116.9 KB, 171 views)
Garryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

This is without the use of WineX or anything?

So how'd ya do it?
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
Garryck
A Shissar Disciple

Nah - mine's with Winex 4 (Cedega). I got it working in the past with just WINE but it required constant maintenance and never had very good performance.

Using WineX takes all the guesswork and footwork out of it for me and I actually get better performance running it this way than I ever did in Windows on the same hardware.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
Taleisin

how did I get it to work? well thats kinda easy for ME to answer, I got ahold of someone who knows what they are doing. While it doesn't fully work it is alot faster than Winex but not quite as fast or stable as Slashdot.

person who got it working for me ( well at least we can logon and play but DARE I try and change a UI :P ) wanted to post but aparently one of the admins removed his username when the site was reformated.

so I'll probably be linking a PDF for the install into redhat 7.3 ( most stable with Direct9 so far )

and later with Debian & Mac OS X.3 ( I think thats the Jagguar Mac )
Old 07-24-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
Crackmaster
A Snow Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taleisin
how did I get it to work? well thats kinda easy for ME to answer, I got ahold of someone who knows what they are doing. While it doesn't fully work it is alot faster than Winex but not quite as fast or stable as Slashdot.

person who got it working for me ( well at least we can logon and play but DARE I try and change a UI :P ) wanted to post but aparently one of the admins removed his username when the site was reformated.

so I'll probably be linking a PDF for the install into redhat 7.3 ( most stable with Direct9 so far )

and later with Debian & Mac OS X.3 ( I think thats the Jagguar Mac )

Thank you thank you thank you!! This will free me from windows.. yay! A quick question though... can you get other games to work with this also or have you only tried Everquest?
Old 07-24-2004, 02:39 PM   #8
Garryck
A Shissar Disciple

Using WineX I've gotten WoW (beta), EQ, KOTOR, CoH and Morrowind to run. The only 2 I tried that I could not get to run are PlanetSide and Eve online.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
Taleisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garryck
Using WineX I've gotten WoW (beta), EQ, KOTOR, CoH and Morrowind to run. The only 2 I tried that I could not get to run are PlanetSide and Eve online.

Garryck is right, WineX is alot easier to use, Direct9 took my local expert 14 hours to make work

so till we get the PDF written step-by-step I'd suggest WineX, it is a good alt to Windows. Plus you would no longer be supporting the beast ( AKA Micro$oft )
Old 07-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
Crackmaster
A Snow Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taleisin
Garryck is right, WineX is alot easier to use, Direct9 took my local expert 14 hours to make work

so till we get the PDF written step-by-step I'd suggest WineX, it is a good alt to Windows. Plus you would no longer be supporting the beast ( AKA Micro$oft )

Ok maybe I'll take that route instead. I was just turned off by it because of the cost to use it, but it seems that many people have been having success because of it. And yes, I will no longer have to be controlled by "the beast"
Old 07-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
Vitaee
Enhanced Imperial Golem

And where would one get WineX??
Old 07-25-2004, 03:44 PM   #12
Crackmaster
A Snow Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaee
And where would one get WineX??

Here is the website for WineX :

http://www.transgaming.com/
Old 07-25-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
Garryck
A Shissar Disciple

I don't mind payng for WineX at all. As has been mentioned by Tal and myself, setting these things up by hand is a literal beeyatch. Paying someone $5/mo. to do it all for me, to keep it updated and to give me a GUI interface to control it is more than fair.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:42 AM   #14
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

Decided to take a stab at running EQ in winex4(cedega) and was very surprised by the results.

I'm running a new Suse 9.1 install on one of my old rigs (800mhz P3/640sdram/128mb FX5200) and I can actually run EQ at a higher resolution than my WinXP box, and with zero to little lag.

My only concearn is that when in windowed mode, my mouse is caught in a tug-o-war between the desktop and EQ. Also, I can not make the 'patchme' switch to work. So, I have to run that annoying patcher everytime I play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eq_suse.jpg (222.5 KB, 36 views)
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:52 AM   #15
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

I'm still debating Lindows OS vs Win XP, any thoughts?