Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
jbmeek
A Fire Beetle

Question A few noobie questions

This will be my first attempt at customizing the EQ UI. I'm hoping someone can answer just a few questions:

1) Is there a tutorial anywhere on this site or others that explains the basics of modifying the UI?

2) If I only want to add one custom window to the default UI, do I only place that one file in my custom UI folder? Or do I need everything from the default UI folder plus my one custom file?

3) If I am adding a window that doesn't exist in the default UI, how do I open and close that window? Or am I limited to replacing an existing window?

4) Is the "EQType" tag the link between the xml element and the actual value shown? I.E. If I make an XP bar, the value displayed there must come from the server. Does the EQType associated with the bar what allows it do show the correct data?

I have done a little work with xml before and having looked at a few of the default xml files and a couple from this website I believe I can figure this out with a little trial and error. If someone can point me in the right direction just a bit it would be an enormous help. Thanks.
jbmeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmeek
This will be my first attempt at customizing the EQ UI. I'm hoping someone can answer just a few questions:

1) Is there a tutorial anywhere on this site or others that explains the basics of modifying the UI?

2) If I only want to add one custom window to the default UI, do I only place that one file in my custom UI folder? Or do I need everything from the default UI folder plus my one custom file?

3) If I am adding a window that doesn't exist in the default UI, how do I open and close that window? Or am I limited to replacing an existing window?

4) Is the "EQType" tag the link between the xml element and the actual value shown? I.E. If I make an XP bar, the value displayed there must come from the server. Does the EQType associated with the bar what allows it do show the correct data?

I have done a little work with xml before and having looked at a few of the default xml files and a couple from this website I believe I can figure this out with a little trial and error. If someone can point me in the right direction just a bit it would be an enormous help. Thanks.

1. I really haven't seen a step by step tutorial. However, there are plenty of authors here that are willing to help. Most have learned through trial and error.
2. Adding a custom window. Just add the window to your custom folder. You can't add custom files to default they will be over written. In other words you may only have one custom window in your custom folder, all other windows will be pulled from the default. Do not copy default files to your custom folder, that causes problem during EQ patches.
3. You can only add windows that exist in the default. You can change the windows that exist in the custom folder to be something eles: Example: I use the friends window as a Right Clickie window, but it opens as the friends window.
4. EQ Type. This is pulled from the server hard code. You correct in your assumption that changing the XP bar EQ type. Our Guild has several melee users and we have changed the Mana bar EQ Type to Endurance EQ type. A list of EQ Types can be found on this site.

Hope that helps.. There are many here who can help you along the way.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
jbmeek
A Fire Beetle

Default Thanks for the help

Thank you for the help. I do have one other question: I'm interested in having a small tribute timer and since I can't set it up as a new window I might try using the existing tribute window and giving it a "minimize" button which would only show the timer. Can you direct me to a UI file that uses a similar methodology? Or is this even feasible? Thanks Again.
jbmeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
Egras
A Lost Soul

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Not possible. You cannot add a button that does not currently exist in the default. You can change the looks, graphics sizes and locations (not all parts) of things, but cannot ADD anything to the UI is does not already have.

If your just begining the UI coding stuff, your aiming too high. Learn to move and resize things on the same window for now. Work up to graphics (tga) editing and then start moving things to different windows. Its a long learning process that cant be bypassed by question and answer in the forums.

If your VERY computer literate, you can download other windows from the download area and dig into them to see what others did to make the moves and changes.

If you do this, ask permission from the coder to use the window in your own UI BEFORE you post it as a mod. Nothing disturbs me more than seeing someone else using my work. I have yet to deny anyone use of my files or coding if they have asked first.