Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > XML modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 01-24-2003, 01:58 PM   #1
Sinian
A Ghoul

Default XML n00b

Well I've been away from EQ for a few months but am slowly getting drawn into it. Granted encounters are trivial, Loot is Trivial, exp is trivial and Sony/VI is still following the Microsucks formula of success; but this Customizable GUI feature is just what I need to teach myself XML.

So my question: What XML Editor do ya'll use? I've played around with SIDL Fiddle but it's still lacking in features to make it a completely viable option. My VB Teacher recommends XMLSpy but $500 for an untimed one machine key is well out of my starving student budget (although I do like it). I suppose I can use Notepad or Wordpad but that'll be more work then my 24 hour days allow. Anyone know of a good freeware or even better a GNU/Open Source XML editor that I can run in WinXP, Solaris ix86, or Linux? I'd prefer a Java based editor as opposed to a .NET just cuz the further away from Microsucks I get the more stable my life is.
Sinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I use a combination of SidlWidl and Word.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 05:20 PM   #3
Sinian
A Ghoul

Default I'm still such a n00b

SIDLWIDL is nice in that it gets the job done but I'm looking for a more all inclusive solution (I don't want to have to leave my developer environment.)

After doing a bit of study I realise all I need is to figure out a way to load the EQ schema (SIDL) into an exsisting XML editor. All current SIDL specific editors I've seen are seriously lacking in power and editing the code via my trusty text editors from the days of DoS is getting really teadious.

So new questions: Has anyone loaded the SIDL schema into an exsisting XML editor? Which one did you do it in? How did you do it?

I know I'm making some n00b mistake 'cuz the about SIDL file supplied with the new UI does alude to it being compatable with the XML Schema standards set up by these guys
Old 01-25-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
Sinian
A Ghoul

Okay I'm giving up on trying to configure the WYSIWYG window within an exisiting XML editor to display EQUI files for now. I guess I'll just run EQ in a window for a WTSIWYG and make my mods the old fashioned way.

Hopefully the creators of SIDL WIDL or SIDL Fiddle will put out an update that'll atleast load the current version of a file without requiring me to restart the app.