Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
shadriel
A Tundra Mammoth

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default help with new TSS changes plz =)

ok i've been trying to get all these new changes to the UI (from TSS release) added into my custom UI for over a week now. so far i've gotten alot of things solved, but no matter what i try i can't seem to get some of these new features to work at all. Here is a list of the files I'm having trouble with:

EQUI_CharacterCreate.xml
EQUI_CharacterListWnd.xml
EQUI_ItemDisplay.xml
EQUI_PlayerWindow.xml
EQUI_SkillsWindow.xml
EQUI_SpellDisplay.xml

If i try to just replace my old EQUI_PlayerWindow.xml with the new default one, it breaks my UI. If i try to add the new timer and its graphics to my old EQUI_PLayerWindow.xml, it breaks my UI just the same. I've been playing around with this thing for several days now and i can't seem to isolate the problem so it can be fixed. Any ideas? I do have the new EQUI_Animations.xml in my custom UI, and i have all the new .tga files added in. I am having the same problem with the rest of these files, too. (Yes i edit the EQUI.xml accordingly first, for the new files.) If i try to add any one of these files to my custom UI, it breaks, if i try to add any of the new features from inside the xml files to my custom xml files, it breaks the UI. I've been hunting and hunting for the problem and tried everything i could think of, nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated.

I could also use some suggestions on a better editor for .tga files. I have been using a very old file for my window_pieces01.tga, i like the graphics it has for my chat windows and for the way it makes all my bars and gauges look, unfortunately, this old file is not compatible with the new EQUI_Animations.xml. the placements of things are just a wee bit different, for nearly everything in the new file, vs old file, plus the old one is missing the graphics for a couple of newer things. I very much so would like to have my old graphics for gauges from this file, (if nothing else), but so far all of my attempts to transfer them have not worked well. I have been using the GIMP to do this and the major trouble seems to be that the new window_pieces01.tga has a black background on it, whereas my old window_pieces01.tga has an invisible background. When looking at the old file, the background appears to be a 2-toned gray checkerboard, but selecting images off that file will only select the images, you do not get any of the background in it. If i try to select images off the new window_pieces01.tga, with the black background, it will not differentiate the images from the background, it picks all of it up together, as if the background were part of the picture, and once i save the file with the black background, that black background shows into the image, in game. Which makes for a very sh*tty lookin UI. If anyone knows how to get the GIMP to ignore the background, to change the background to that invisible one, or can recommend a better editting program for this, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Wymp
A Shissar Disciple

Might have corrupted the tga on a save and killed the transparency. Photoshop reads it fine. Did you try opening the one from the default folder to be sure?

Can try this for editing the tga if you're having still issues with GIMP, though --- Ultimate Paint

Not real fancy, but it will work with transparencies and is free.

As to your errors, from what you've described, you'd need to post some xml's or let us know what UI yours is based off of if it's one from EQInterface.

To start, post your UIErrors file. That might help give a place to start debugging.
Wymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
shadriel
A Tundra Mammoth

i think i've narrowed it down to errors between my new and old animations and templates files. my current template and animation files are apparently missing some things the new ones have, and vice versa. so atm i'm working on figuring out whats missing and copy/paste, which is turning into a huge chore. but hopefully once i'm done with that, it will all work out ok. i had forgotten about the UIErrors.txt file, ty for reminding me. with having replaced my OS recently, i lost alot of info, along with shortcut links i was using, guess i forgot to replace that one =) that should cut down my search time =)
shadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
shadriel
A Tundra Mammoth

as for the .tga trouble, i'm pretty sure thats exactly whats happening. when i go to save the file, i think it is merging the black background into the pictures. it doesn't do this with the files that have the 2-toned gray checkerboard background, but it is doing it with the black background. i have no idea how to stop it from doing that, as i use the same procedure to save the file for both backgrounds, and it doesn't ask anything about that. gimp likes to work in layers tho, if i move something from one file to another, it automatically places the new graphic in a seperate "layer" even tho they appear to be in the same place. in order to merge them together, i have to merge the layers, otherwise it will save them seperately and then the info would be inaccessible. honestly the program is driving me nuts, i'm sure there are some ppl that think its great, but with 900 features and no help files available on it to explain anything, i'm having a very hard time figuring out how to do anything with it.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
Egras
A Lost Soul

Your gonna find alot of issues with the Animations, Template and EQUI.xml if your using a custom UI that wasnt built with the new ones. It will reference new features the old files dont have. That is step one on making a UI compatible with a patch or update.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
shadriel
A Tundra Mammoth

how do you get ultimate paint to recognize that the background is supposed to remain invisible? i am having the same problem with it that i was having with gimp =/

this is rly confusing me. i edited window_pieces06.tga just the other day with no trouble at all. all i had to do was add in the new graphics and bam, it was done, no problems. but trying to cut out the gauges on window_pieces01.tga (new) and replace with my old gauge graphics is just getting me nowhere at all. its like there is something different with the new file and no matter what i do, i can't put my graphics in it. with UP it is doing almost the exact same thing gimp was. if i cut out the new gauges on it, it leaves a black hole on the screen, and if i paste in the gauges from my old file, it leaves that black background behind it and merges it into the gauges. WTF!!!

Last edited by shadriel : 09-27-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
shadriel
A Tundra Mammoth

i started a new topic in this forum to address the tga problem with, as its a seperate issue from the other problems i mentioned. i also posted the tga file i'm trying to edit, so if u can help with that, here is a link to that thread:

Editing .TGA's
Old 09-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #8
shadriel
A Tundra Mammoth

just wanted to update ya on the xml trouble i was having. got it all fixed now, it was just a simple problem with 1 object missing from templates heheh, i feel a lil foolish now, since that thing took me forever to find, but ty for the help =)