User Name
Password

Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default DoomPda - UI taht started as DoomPda Theme

Currently working on a UI based on my DoomPda window theme. The original idea came from playing with the Doom 3 UI system and slowly evolved into a EQUI.

Here's what I have so far:

Textures

Will post new screenshots in a little bit.

The Status bar is a second screen element in the Player Window, so to get the OOC timer over there I had to offset it enough to be under the status bar's background. Trying to figure out how to get a minimize box on just the status bar so that stats don't have to be displayed full time, but all attempts have failed short of giving it a title bar (which looked stupid).

The font's used were Echovoice and Alexis, most the letters were modified to remove the bolder look of the two (they were very similar to begin with). Next up window is the buff and song bars. Anyone who want's to play around with it can download it from the following link: D3_PDA.zip.

"Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working properly when you open Windows."

Last edited by shillingworth : 08-16-2007 at 11:20 AM.
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
fenrian1
A Shissar Defiler

Read my post about my petwindow here
http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=18966
its a bit of a bastard code, but I doubt you would have any trouble putting it together to work for you.

Stuff looks really nice BTW
fenrian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Yeah I was trying that technique but it is weird. Without the titlebar it doesn't seem to be able to build the control structure for the buttons. But I prepped a test file to try another technique using some things with color theory and mathematical behavior of bitmapped images to hide the titlebar without destroying the screen structure of it.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

That's a very nice looking UI, love the look of the graphics. The stats bar in particular is stunning.
myxiplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

So far I did away with all the fingers on the sides of the windows, made the borders look more like the chat windows to get it looking a tad more uniform. Also added a lip to the top bars of each window like the chat windows have in their borders in the edges. After I get everything repositioned in the stat window to fit the new dimensions (gotta add about 4 or 5 pixels to each vertical location), I am going to attempt a somewhat tricky buff window.

The buff window I am taking a strange approach to positioning each buff. I'll be encapsulating each buff button in it's own screen element, which will hopefully allow me to break them up to a custom position (instead of that goofy right to left stuff). Thinking something like a corner of the screen, a sort of L shape buff bar with an interlocking short duration buff bar.

I may have also stumbled blindly upon the solution to scaling UI's without any modification to EQ itself. The game seems to treat the entire UI as one large Screen control. The names of the pieces are hard coded unfortunately, but it works to my advantage so far. I was able to create multiple screen elements, each the size of the entire screen at a given resolution (tested it with a couple 4:3 ratios so far), and set the location of each one based on the current screen resolution of the user in the default ini.

Example:
Say you have the Screen element named SomeScreen in your UI. If you add an entry to defaults.ini like so:
Code:
[SomeScreen] XPos1280x1024=-1281 YPos1280x1024=-1025

It will be moved off screen when the resolution 1280x1024 is selected by the user.

From that bit of info you can actually create several copies of a screen element nested inside the master one for that xml file (of course this wouldn't work with certain ones due to inherit behaviour, like say the combat timer). But It would allow for a UI to be scaled to fit tricky resolutions, like say 800x600 compared to 1600x1200.

I'm not for sure if this was why it happened, perhaps I overlooked something simpler, but it very much so seems to be the case.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Serianna
~The Semi Retired~

Server: Nameless, Formerly of Fennin Ro.

Hey if you want to see a way to make the buff window in a different way, check out the buff window that is in my upload of Egras, now they do go right to left, but they are easly set to go from left to right or hell any other way you could want. Each part (blank button, BW button, and BW Label) are all seperate elements in one file, Code snippet at bottem (Blank is the numerical shown in the buff bar when it is not in use, Lable is the Text shown for each buff when it is in use, and BW Button is the area with the Blue background and spell Icon.)

Egras set his buff window to have the 3 parts, the Default UI does not have this stuff so thats why Im suggesting taking a look at my buff window since you said you were thinking of something like this. No idea how he came up with it but it works lol, there may be an easyer way to do this though.

Doing the 3 element thing you could set the buffs to be in any location, in any order that you could imagine i assume. So I think your L shape idea is very possible with this approach.

First is blank buff (it has 0 through 24) each one shows a <Text> as 1 through 24. If i was to set this <location> as the <location> that 24 is shown in, and put 24 as the location of 0 it would partially fix everything to be sent to a left to right order.

Second is BW Label. This is the second thing that has a <location> that would be changed. This is again set 0 through 24, So set 0 to location of 24, and 24 to location of 0

Third item is BW Button. This would be the third and last thing, again it has <locations> to be changed. Basically you can change the decal size to be large or small (decals are the blue background buff icons) then change the locations to be anywhere you want, Egras had them stacked 3 tall each row, but im going to be making a add on of this buff window, but change it so they are all smaller and buff names are displayed below the buff. Again has 0 through 24, So set 0 to location of 24, and 24 to location of 0.

Hope this helps
Seri~

Blank Buff
Code:
<Button item="Blank_Buff_0"> <ScreenID>A_ScreenID</ScreenID> <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition> <Location> <X>695</X> <Y>0</Y> </Location> <Size> <CX>100</CX> <CY>24</CY> </Size> <Style_VScroll>false</Style_VScroll> <Style_HScroll>false</Style_HScroll> <Style_Transparent>false</Style_Transparent> <Style_Checkbox>false</Style_Checkbox> <Text>1</Text> <TextColor> <R>185</R> <G>175</G> <B>125</B> <Alpha>255</Alpha> </TextColor> <ButtonDrawTemplate /> <Font>3</Font> </Button>

BW Label
Code:
<Label item="BW_Buff0_Label"> <ScreenID>BW_Buff0_Label</ScreenID> <Font>1</Font> <Text>Katta's Song of Sword Danging</Text> <TextColor> <R>255</R> <G>255</G> <B>255</B> </TextColor> <Size> <CX>70</CX> <CY>23</CY> </Size> <AlignCenter>true</AlignCenter> <TopAnchorToTop>False</TopAnchorToTop> <EQType>500</EQType> <Location> <X>729</X> <Y>0</Y> </Location> </Label>

BW Button
Code:
<Button item="BW_Buff0_Button"> <ScreenID>Buff0</ScreenID> <!--<Font>3</Font>--> <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition> <Location> <X>695</X> <Y>0</Y> </Location> <Size> <CX>100</CX> <CY>24</CY> </Size> <Style_VScroll>false</Style_VScroll> <Style_HScroll>false</Style_HScroll> <Style_Transparent>false</Style_Transparent> <!--<TooltipReference/> --> <Style_Checkbox>false</Style_Checkbox> <!--<RadioGroup/> --> <ButtonDrawTemplate> <Normal>BlueIconBackground</Normal> <NormalDecal>BuffIcons</NormalDecal> </ButtonDrawTemplate> <!-- <SoundPressed/> <SoundUp/> <SoundFlyby/> --> <DecalOffset> <X>2</X> <Y>2</Y> </DecalOffset> <DecalSize> <CX>20</CX> <CY>20</CY> </DecalSize> </Button>

"Oh my... someone help me, Ive got a main and 5 boxes to feed!"

Last edited by Serianna : 05-11-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Serianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
fenrian1
A Shissar Defiler

The bufs can be placed anywhere in the bufwindow, in any order you want. I found that the hardcoding forcing right to left is a myth.

As you can see, they are placed in the order I have defined using offsets and autostretch.

Quote:
<Button item="BW_Buff0_Button">
<ScreenID>Buff0</ScreenID>
<!--<Font>3</Font>-->
<RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition>
<Location>
<X>3</X>
<Y>3</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>34</CX>
<CY>34</CY>
</Size>

ETC.
<DecalOffset>
<X>2</X>
<Y>2</Y>
</DecalOffset>
<DecalSize>
<CX>30</CX>
<CY>30</CY>
</DecalSize>
<AutoStretch>true</AutoStretch>
<BottomAnchorOffset>34</BottomAnchorOffset>
<RightAnchorOffset>34</RightAnchorOffset>
</Button>
<Button item="BW_Buff1_Button">
<ScreenID>Buff1</ScreenID>
<!--<Font>3</Font> -->
<Location>
<X>48</X>
<Y>3</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>34</CX>
<CY>34</CY>
</Size>
ETC
<DecalOffset>
<X>2</X>
<Y>2</Y>
</DecalOffset>
<DecalSize>
<CX>30</CX>
<CY>30</CY>
</DecalSize>
<BottomAnchorOffset>34</BottomAnchorOffset>
<LeftAnchorOffset>35</LeftAnchorOffset>
<RightAnchorOffset>69</RightAnchorOffset>
</Button>
<Button item="BW_Buff2_Button">
<ScreenID>Buff2</ScreenID>
<!--<Font>3</Font> -->
<Location>
<X>93</X>
<Y>3</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>34</CX>
<CY>34</CY>
</Size>
ETC
<DecalOffset>
<X>2</X>
<Y>2</Y>
</DecalOffset>
<DecalSize>
<CX>30</CX>
<CY>30</CY>
</DecalSize>
<BottomAnchorOffset>69</BottomAnchorOffset>
<RightAnchorOffset>34</RightAnchorOffset>
<TopAnchorOffset>35</TopAnchorOffset>
</Button>
<Button item="BW_Buff3_Button">
<ScreenID>Buff3</ScreenID>
<!--<Font>3</Font> -->
<Location>
<X>3</X>
<Y>49</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>34</CX>
<CY>34</CY>
</Size>
ETC
<DecalOffset>
<X>2</X>
<Y>2</Y>
</DecalOffset>
<DecalSize>
<CX>30</CX>
<CY>30</CY>
</DecalSize>
<BottomAnchorOffset>74</BottomAnchorOffset>
<LeftAnchorOffset>70</LeftAnchorOffset>
<RightAnchorOffset>104</RightAnchorOffset>
<TopAnchorOffset>35</TopAnchorOffset>
</Button>
<Button item="BW_Buff4_Button">
<ScreenID>Buff4</ScreenID>
<!--<Font>3</Font> Default -->
<Location>
<X>48</X>
<Y>49</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>34</CX>
<CY>34</CY>
</Size>
ETC
<DecalOffset>
<X>2</X>
<Y>2</Y>
</DecalOffset>
<DecalSize>
<CX>30</CX>
<CY>30</CY>
</DecalSize>
<BottomAnchorOffset>51</BottomAnchorOffset>
<LeftAnchorOffset>105</LeftAnchorOffset>
<RightAnchorOffset>175</RightAnchorOffset>
<TopAnchorOffset>17</TopAnchorOffset>
</Button>

Its been a while since I messed arround with this stuff, but I do seem to remember that when you use offsets, the area of the window must be equal or greater than the combined area of all 25 buficons. So iirc, you cant make a bufwindow that has only 15 buf slots unless you add buf labels to make up the extra space lost from the missing 9 bufs. I am also pretty sure you cant make the bufwindow stretchable when you use offsets. But I could be wrong on this. Personaly, I hate this window and have yet to make or find a bufwindow I satisfied with.

EDIT: I remembered I had a left to right buf window that I made along time ago, its in the upload section and updated for 25/15 bufs if anyone wants to steal the code, its default size and it seems you can make it sizable =)

Last edited by fenrian1 : 05-12-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
fenrian1
A Shissar Defiler

Another thing as well. I am pretty sure that you can not click off the bufs if they are placed inside a subwindow element. but this would also allow you to place the bufs in any position you wanted, even outside the buf window if you chose too. Really much easier to just place each buf with offsets as shown above, it would take you as much time to reorder all the bufs as it would to create a new element for just 2 bufs, and then you would still have to position each element after that.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Superb find guys!

For a long while I've wanted to do a buff window with custom positions for my 1024x768 UI. Didn't think it was possible though after asking on the forums.

Looks like it's time to brush the dust of that code and get it updated

Myx
myxiplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Wow thanks a ton fenrian and serianna you guys saved me a ton of coding pointed that stuff out. I was kinda suspecting the OnClick events attached to the inherit behaviour of the buff window, but I never thought of modifying the offsets.

Yeah Myx, a lot that is considered impossible in EQUI is just difficult to find but simple to implement once a solution is found. You'd be very surprised at how flexible it really is. Short of the Player preview I would bet with a lot of trial and error, the original EQUI is still possible. Actually I have no doubt we are still using that UI system just with an xml extension to read in xml files, or perhaps all they did was expose the xml files instead of putting them into some BSP structure.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Decided to stick with a horizontal buff window. Redid the textures using a different technique to add noise and scanlines, below are the results:

DoomPda.tga

Buff Window Background
Old 05-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
fenrian1
A Shissar Defiler

Very nice.

I love that transparent look and the use of lines to connect every thing. Very ironic that my Veliouse ui is fully opaque and uses soft contours, but I find I prefer the less "futuristic" look for EQ.

Following this thread has had me on the verge of starting the 2.0 release since I have found that I am very unhappy with having a horizontal spell bar and I don't need all 4 hotbars up with most of my alts. I cast pretty much all spell using the alt # keys and get frustrated at the tool tips mucking up the look.

Do you have a screenshot of the layout yet? Or maybe a some conceptual stuff? I am feeling the need for some inspiration.

Keep up the good work, looks like its going to be one of the better looking UI's.

EDIT: Doh, I scrolled up and found the screens, I forgot there was anything beside tga pics =).
Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #13
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Well I uploaded the new zip file with buff bars and short duration buffs. The images however gave me hell and now the server's locking me out of uploading images. What made me give up on the L shaped bars was that it created to much clickable area in the window where there wasn't anything. Only way I could remove that behavior was to make the buffs unclickable, which is out of question since this thing is intended to be fully functional.

The glow effects though brought the windows to life, couldn't quiet place why it felt so dull until I did that, even the spell window tinting looks better like that.

The whole finding a good transparent color for the backgrounds was a bit tough. Takes abit of work to get just the right tint to where both light and dark colors appear without optical distortion (like severe blending and severe contrasting).
Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #14
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Redid the links to reflect the new location of the files, currently I'm working on the combat abilities window, probably turn out similar to the spell casting window.