Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
svenalo
A Fire Beetle

Default javascript?

If I make an html page for the story, can that page make use of javascript? I want to make a DKP display mod for my guild, but I don't want it to launch a external browser because some of the folks have issues with that. So in order to have the story autoupdate, as it were, it would need some javascript to pull the relevant info from our website and generate the new content at that time.
svenalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Darrkin
A Gray Wolf

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenalo
If I make an html page for the story, can that page make use of javascript? I want to make a DKP display mod for my guild, but I don't want it to launch a external browser because some of the folks have issues with that. So in order to have the story autoupdate, as it were, it would need some javascript to pull the relevant info from our website and generate the new content at that time.

You can have a script import it on load up but not actively refresh
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
FennyX
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

like the previous poster said, you'll need an external process doing this for you. it could be either be a resident process or a !system command but "StoryML" is not like HTML -- its a very simple thing more along the lines of old-school DOS ANSI codes.

Also, you need to be careful with how you write to story files (this info could be dated since I haven't played EQ in a while, but story window remained untouched since its creation so it's a good bet it's still the case). EQ maintains an open handle on each viewed story for the life of the eqgame.exe process -- once someone has looked at a file, it cannot be deleted. It can, however, be modified.

So the approach you have to take is an "edit in place" rather than "write to temp file and replace". It's not a big deal, you just need to be aware of it.
FennyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
svenalo
A Fire Beetle

Default .

I figured that was the case. Oh well. Having the updates driven by a external script or program or whatever would work for the technically capable folks, but there are those in the guild that would be challenged to use something like that. I might make something for use by some, but probably not everyone... And if going to all that work, somehow linking it to the raid window probably would be better anyhow so the DKP totals are listed next to the player...
svenalo is offline   Reply With Quote