User Name
Password

Old 11-25-2003, 05:32 AM   #1
Genghiz Cohen
Cry Spoon!!

Server: Druzzil Ro
Arrow Wishlist for the future

Hey.

I've been thinking about stuff that I would like to see in EQ that concerns the interface. I'm sure you all have had the "man, I wish I could so-and-so" -thing at one point or another during the making and using of a revamped interface.

Here are a couple of ideas I've had.

* Some form of snap-to-grid system. preferably one where you can define the size of the grid (i.e. customize it to fit whatever interface you're using). This would spare people the effort of having to fiddle with the .ini files just to make a couple of chatwindows line up neatly (one always seem to be a wee bit off target )

* Tooltip enable/disable within -each- window. Some windows really need the tooltips (read vendor, containers etc) while in others the tooltips becomes a hassle and it seems you cant put your mouse anywhere without having a blue blob appear (read bazaar window, among others) and block important bits and pieces. Seems to me this could be done easily with a button along side the Minimize/Close and Help buttons provided with most windows. Admittedly, I really dont have a clue about what is or is not needed to make something like this and it might be a huge programming hurdle to overcome, but I doubt it.

I'm sure there are tons of other ideas out there and I'd be interested to hear whats going through your heads.

Grunt on
/Genghiz

Edit:
Ops, I didnt scroll down far enough on Page 1. Please move this topic to the Wishlist section. Sorry about that hehe

Last edited by Genghiz Cohen : 11-25-2003 at 06:11 AM.
Genghiz Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:56 AM   #2
Fozzik
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Solusek Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

You can already disable tooltips for a particular window, or even for part of a window depending how it's set up. It's perfectly possible to disable the tooltips in the bazaar search window... I know because I did it on mine.
Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:06 AM   #3
Genghiz Cohen
Cry Spoon!!

without having to edit the actual XML file?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:45 AM   #4
Fozzik
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Solusek Ro

Nope, you do have to edit the xml. It doesn't bite. =)

Copy the EQUI_BazaarSearchWindow.xml file from the default folder into your custom one... and open it in notepad. Find this section:

<Listbox item = "BZR_ItemList">
<ScreenID>BZR_ItemList</ScreenID>
<DrawTemplate>WDT_Inner</DrawTemplate>
<TooltipReference>Right click item name to inspect item. Right click player name to face player.</TooltipReference>
<AutoStretch>true</AutoStretch>
<LeftAnchorOffset>5</LeftAnchorOffset>
<TopAnchorOffset>80</TopAnchorOffset>
<RightAnchorOffset>5</RightAnchorOffset>
<BottomAnchorOffset>2</BottomAnchorOffset>
<TopAnchorToTop>true</TopAnchorToTop>
<BottomAnchorToTop>false</BottomAnchorToTop>
<LeftAnchorToLeft>true</LeftAnchorToLeft>
<RightAnchorToLeft>false</RightAnchorToLeft>

It should be very near the top of the file. Go to the line I put in pink, and change it to look like this:

<!--<TooltipReference>Right click item name to inspect item. Right click player name to face player.</TooltipReference>-->

you just have to add the beginning and end symbols (the ones shown in pink) and save the file.
Or, ask one of us nice folks to do it for you.
Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:52 AM   #5
whadayawant
A Bat

Server: morrell-thule
Default A couples of wishes

I would like to see to see a group window that would inform a player of each of the other group members class and level, something similar to the information that can be found using the raid window. I am tired of having to type that information every time a new person is added to a group.

The other thing I would do would be to make the bazaar interface such that once a traders name is Highlighted in the Bazaar Window, that trader's name would flash a bright red or something for the person doing the search. Not only would it help to locate the trader from a distance (especially if clip plane is turned down) but would help single out the location of a trader close up when names all overlap each other and distinguishing one from the other is next to impossible.

These are the two things that come to mind.
whadayawant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:54 AM   #6
Genghiz Cohen
Cry Spoon!!

Well, I know I can edit the XML (and I do, actually, for more than just the bazaar window) but I would still like to see a in-game feature to turn them on or off at will. Or maybe even hide them alltogether and pull them up using a button much like the ALT button pulls up Spell names and buffs and whatnot.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:57 AM   #7
Genghiz Cohen
Cry Spoon!!

Default Re: A couples of wishes

Quote:
Originally posted by whadayawant
I would like to see to see a group window that would inform a player of each of the other group members class and level, something similar to the information that can be found using the raid window. I am tired of having to type that information every time a new person is added to a group.

/agree

Personally I target my groupmembers one by one and do ye olde /whot trick, but even that gets tedious. And, as you point out, it seems I'm one of the few who does. Most go "Llv and class?" anyways.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 AM   #8
sc2kmayor
An_Arcane_Lurker

Server: Mithaniel Marr <The Mages of The Mist>
Default Separate Tell Windows

I would like a separated master tell window that gains Tabs (with hotlinked NameButton) as each new person send me a tell. Left Click tab (or R) starts reply in tell window and overrides the always chat here option on my main chat window and allows you to maintain a conversation without having to move windows off each other. Right click the tabbutton to leave conversation, invite, guild invite, raid invite, add to friends or whotarget. All command responses are logged in the tell window.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #9
exzyle2k
A Ghoul

Default Master Tab List

I see the player windows with tabs, and I see the Options window with tabs, but can there be something done that has a bar, either vert or horiz, that has tabs for all possible windows that you can open? Like chats, pets, actions, hotkeys, junk to that nature, instead of using the icons along the top? I mean, the Icons are all fine and dandy, but sometimes I forget what they mean... Is there any way to change that to tabs and use names instead of glyphs?

Kaneenite
Deadly Omen
55 Luminary (fancy shaman term ))
exzyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 04:42 AM   #10
Genghiz Cohen
Cry Spoon!!

Default Re: Master Tab List

Quote:
Originally posted by exzyle2k
I see the player windows with tabs, and I see the Options window with tabs, but can there be something done that has a bar, either vert or horiz, that has tabs for all possible windows that you can open? Like chats, pets, actions, hotkeys, junk to that nature, instead of using the icons along the top? I mean, the Icons are all fine and dandy, but sometimes I forget what they mean... Is there any way to change that to tabs and use names instead of glyphs?

Kaneenite
Deadly Omen
55 Luminary (fancy shaman term ))

I'm no interface coder (yet, har har) but it seems to me that you can edit one of the "windowpieces_##.tga" (or maybe one of the "dragitem" thingies?) files to change the appearance of those buttons. I have seen several custom UI's with text instead of icons. I'm sure some bright UI mind can give you details on how to go about it. =)
Old 11-26-2003, 06:02 AM   #11
lee5i3
A Fire Beetle

Biggest Wishes I want from EQ:

a optional XML in group window, allowing party mana to be shown like pets health

better targetting, something like cycling through nearest targets instead of THE nearest one

button allowing you to follow mob you have targetting so you don't have to keep moving closing to mob to hit it

way of turning off bard songs, filter doesn't seem to work unless you turn off all spells as well, would be nice to turn off just bard songs since they seem to lag pretty bad

option to turn off lightning sound and rain sound, even turning OFF sound while it is raining doesn't turn it off

timers for current buffs would be nice so you know when your buffs will fade, instead of just guessing

my biggest wish, is for another bazaar zone and able to link the /bazaar between to two, like if you do a search in bazaar for an item, i'll show weither they in current bazaar or in other bazaar zone

my small list of many reasonable wishes for EQ, I'm sure i can think of more, but don't want to go on forever
lee5i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:36 AM   #12
Genghiz Cohen
Cry Spoon!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lee5i3
Biggest Wishes I want from EQ:

better targetting, something like cycling through nearest targets instead of THE nearest one

HELL YEAH!

I've had wet dreams about target cycling for years. Reasonably you should be able to cycle through all the targets that you potentially could target with F8. That would limit the range of mobs as well as keeping things nice and tight near your combat zone.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:41 AM   #13
nwinn
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: druzzil ro

I'd settle for f8 to work whether you're facing the mob or not... right now it picks the closest in the direction you're facing. :\
Old 12-31-2003, 11:31 AM   #14
elertm
A Fire Beetle

Default Raid Screen

May sound kind of silly but what about having a raid screen that shows the lifebar of the members in the raid ?!?
elertm is offline   Reply With Quote